HMRC Tax on selling online

I wouldn’t be so sure. HMRC have a long history of making judgments about people’s (or trader’s) tax liability, based on limited and often incorrect information or assumptions. The onus has then always been on you to prove them wrong, or pay up. (Not in that order!)

2 Likes

Then I guess we shall see!

I’m no apologist for HMRC especially in trying to get their attention for the right reasons these days (though their service levels did seem to be improving before Covid) but perhaps I like to assume glass half-fullness!

I assume inflation is taken into account? For example, the Nait bought for £179 back in '83 that might be worth around £400 today…

Richard – you’re in to the murky world of CGT there, which shouldn’t bite for a disposal of this size (it’s designated for disposals >£6k). There’s also an exemption for personal possessions with a limited lifespan of <50 years – so only another 20 years to go :thinking:

…and with CGT, the likes of servicing to maintain capital value should be able to be offset against disposal proceeds/gain (but don’t quote me!).

As others have said though, the recent newsflow is all targeted on ‘traders’, and there’s nothing to get excited about IMHO if you sell your (personal) system via the likes of e-bay.

1 Like

Selling your Naim gear isn’t trading and therefore not taxable!

2 Likes

Not yet, but give them time and I’m sure they’ll get around to that.

Willy.

Funny how governments everywhere are looking to the average citizen to make up their deficits. Yet the rich and large corporations get away with paying little or in some cases pay nothing.

Of course this is rhetorical as any reply will more than likely dip into forbidden territory.

6 Likes

Indeed, as I’ve posted before, it irks me somewhat that there are thousands of way overpaid ‘celebrities’, entertainers and sportspeople, who like to chuck their oar in about lack of funding in various sectors, yet do all they can to ensure they pay tax at a far lesser rate than the majority of their paying (baying?) audience.

4 Likes

A case in point. Nothing illegal. But baffling. And she’s so sweet an’ evrythink…
Not really a surprise if HMRC looks elsewhere I guess…

1 Like

Actually Martin Lewis has been very clear in trying to relieve people of their misconceptions, saying it is only trade selling that is liable for tax, and providing a clear definition of what trade means and how most people selling as you describe are absolutely not liable for tax pn their eBay selling.

Exactly my point…There aren’t any.

If in fact playing Lorraine Kelly on telly is a performance I might drop a note to ITV asking for an audition. I think I could make a better fist of it than the current incumbent.

1 Like

Quite… if all the person is doing is being a puppet and not herself as a real sentient being, she/it might as well be replaced by an AI avatar.

1 Like

Maybe she already has!?

LorrAIne :wink:

I think we shud be told…

1 Like

Now Richard Madeley really is a made up performer for sure. He now out Patridges Partridge.

1 Like

Clearly this is now firmly in thread drift territory, however I did catch ITV breakfast yesterday and saw him and Reid ask a guest a question, the same question, about five times in four slightly different formats, alternating the task, without letting the guest actually answer it. Immediately then letting someone else with an opposing view shout over the first, before ending the little piece before it had even really started. Quite bizarre and a reminder that breakfast telly is poo.

2 Likes

Interesting - Lorraine Kelly doesn’t fall under IR35, for some reason (he says, bitterly, having seen many IT contractors fall under that rule - which means that they are treated as employees of the company who contracted with their company, so have to pay income tax and both NIs, but cannot get benefits such as sick pay etc., nor claim expenses - so an employee as far as tax is concerned, and not an employee as far as benefits is concerned).
So why does she not come under IR35?

Leaning against an open door there chap!!!

When I contracted and was caught by IR35, there was another contractor who IIRC was self employed, and got paid by his wife sole trader Ltd company, and he didn’t come under IR35, however the revenue did investigate his scenario, and whilst it was deemed OK, he was always under close scrutiny by them.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.