House Insurance and Covid

The renewal for my house insurance policy includes a new clause, effectively saying that any claim “directly or indirectly by any Pandemic or Epidemic” will be excluded".

This seems pretty wide ranging for a house rebuilding and contents policy - anyone else had such a clause in their renewal policy?

Al Capone and insurance companies are broadly similar.

Try another company.

2 Likes

I’m told it is an industry wide clause - it’s a good company as well (NFU) so that may well be correct.

I would definitely try a few others. That sounds so broad that it almost makes the insurance potentially pointless.

Best

David

It’s probably little different to some older clauses around ‘acts of god’, terrorism, social turmoil/riots etc.

I suspect if a claim were genuine and the clause was used inappropriately that it might be deemed unreasonable by an ombudsman.

If it’s a widespread new clause, we have few options other than to be uninsured.

Others will undoubtedly have better experience, but this and linked articles may be worth reading:

There are a few things I have signed and considered that clauses might be considered unreasonable. The consumer vs business examples however seem to suggest things are stacked against us mere mortals unless I’ve misread.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.