House shaking BASS

Genaside II - Narra Mine

1.06 onwards.

1 Like
4 Likes

Very nice suggestions! Does the REL sub help with this - bass moving from right to left across the soundstage?

Yes it does, assuming the sub’s setup right

1 Like

Track one…

4 Likes

Darksied from Grimes latest album Miss Anthropocene. The bass is incredible and I have Allaes which are bass shy.

1 Like

Allaes bass shy? Not in my system and musical tastes there not.

Well my daughter’s 18 year old boyfriend doesn’t think my system has enough bass.

Would like to state that I think the bass just sounds right on the Allaes. I was guilty of wording my statement for impact.

I had a young guy recently move in next door. He mentioned in conversation that he had heard that I had a pretty good HiFi, then started bragging about the system in his car and how he could blow windows out with the Bass. He asked if he could have a listen, so I hesitantly agreed explaining that it wasnt a PA or boom box system but a system designed to play music. He took a look and said it wouldnt be any good for “drum and bass”.
I played him some Congo Natty and he stood looking puzzled and insisted that I
was “winding him up” and “must have some subs hidden somewhere!”

7 Likes

Yes, some of the younger generation are bass-junkies, that is until they hear how overblown bass can destroy the remainder of the frequency range.

Show them how extended low frequencies can remain under control and in focus, while maintaining separation, detail and soundstage, then they tend to see the bigger picture.

That is my point. Some youngsters are addicted to flab rather that proper bass. It is all they have ever known and they are happy to have their trousers flapping but no real music.

I am possibly being unfair.

3 Likes

Possibly. funny though!
:+1::rofl:

Not trying to sell REL but must say it was an eye opener for me when I first discovered REL. OMG, this bass has tone, not just a beat / punch! It actually lifts the whole frequency band thus the whole experience. Reminded me when I used to mic up drum kit and learnt it has several pitches, not just a kick drum). :grin:

3 Likes

In my experience, reproducing low frequencies is not just about bass notes. When I added a sub to my N-Sats the most notable improvement was a better sense of the acoustics and ambience of the recording and therefore a greater sense of realism. Of course the extra oomph for Phil Lesh’s bass lines was more than welcome!

2 Likes

Interesting photo on the cover of Kiss my Axe :thinking:

Is that a fellow band member with Al in the photo?

Have to admit the track Embrace did not have anything approaching house shaking bass in my system…

1 Like

Oh it’s there but your system needs to have the ability to dig deep!

It’s there at about 3:15 into the track. But your system has to be able to reproduce the bottom octave 20hz-40hz other wise you won’t fell or hear it… believe me it’s there!

I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

It sounds like the recording has a very low frequency element added in for people with subs.

Reminds me of the phase noise trick of sounds way off to the left on Waters’ ‘Amused to Death’.

Is it a gimmick or an essential part of enjoying that tune?

Records I love that have quite prominent side to side speaker effects that are truly part of the recording/edits include parts of Electric Ladyland and Go Ahead John on Big Fun.

But those are for all listeners, not just ones with special equipment, and they are not just in one extreme frequency band.

I don’t consider the bottom octave to be extreme. That’s just silly. I also listen to music like Bach , and other orchestral stuff that has deep bass. From what I’ve read naim SL2 are -6db down at 30hz. Ever heard live orchestral music big timpani drums huge powerful stuff!

1 Like