Housecurve

This morning I found a reference to the iPad/iPhone app called housecurve. @CrystalGipsy has used it and I was wondering whether anyone else had used its filters?

There is a thread by its developer on the Roon forum, which is is useful; and it uses the built in mics rather than external mics for the measurements.

4 Likes

Not used it (REW for me) but heard good things about it.
Anything that permits you to tame an annoying room mode is a good thing in my book.

2 Likes

I’ve purchased it, it works very well for me. You can use the builtin mic or attach an external mic too.

2 Likes

I’ve played around with it today, creating curves for my study and living room. However, I used the Sony TV connection for the living room, and a saved test file on Roon for the study.
I’ll try to compare the Roon and TV curves later.

I can’t say I noticed much change in the study which has ceiling speakers. Measurements were taken from two positions: standing at my computer and sitting in my reading chair.

I’m hoping that if I can demonstrate significant benefit then I will have another go at the HAF filters.

1 Like

I bought this a few weeks ago and have had a tinker with it just using the built in microphone in my iPad. I created the test file and put it on my Roon server.

Loaded into Roon it’s definitely improved my conservatory system which comprises a UnitiQute and some Bose Jewel speakers with their passive subwoofer - don’t laugh please for a difficult space it sounds remarkably good!

The sound is smoother and less ‘edgy’, the nature of the speakers and room make for an uneven frequency response and the correction seems to have tamed this.

I didn’t have so much success with the main system which doesn’t really need any attention but didn’t spend much time on this.

I’m wondering if the Dayton calibrated microphone would be a good addition, it’s only £39 on Amazon and appears to compatible.

2 Likes

It might be a bit better you would think, not sure though. I’ve just ordered one anyway, Dayton Audio iMM-6 iDevice Calibrated Microphone.
$50 cad.

2 Likes

had a play with it yesterday briefly, and not altogethr sure how it works or how to load it into Roon but i was pleased to see that my ATC 11’s were pretty much on the suggested curve, a bit of a suck out at 57 hz.

If anything and like you’ve found out, it’s interesting to see how your speakers react with the room.
If you use a subwoofer(s), it can give you a good idea where your speakers drop off and a starting point to set your sub crossover value, then tweak by ear.

2 Likes

How about

ACIDHOUSECURVE. :grinning:

1 Like

It took some working out for me - involved emailing myself the wav and convolution files, then copying them across to where my Roon sits. Then I found out that I could load the files from my Mac, which is an endpoint and saved me running around. Loading the convolution file was easy: at the control point, click the speaker icon then the DSP heading and then add the appropriate file.

2 Likes

Nice find!
I’ve been thinking about ordering a room correction service and buying the necessary microphone and stand, but I’m moving in a couple of months so have held off.
What I knew and Housecurve has confirmed is that due to imperfect speaker positioning constrained by my listening room space, I had a pronounced overhang at low frequencies.
Housecurve has applied a flattening effect to that and whilst I can’t describe the differences as night and day it’s definitely improved the overall acoustics in my room.
Housecurve took a little working out but once I figured how to compare measurements and export an impulse WAV file with corrections applied automatically, it was a simple process of loading these (one for each resolution, 44,48,96 etc.) into a zip file and copying to my Roon core.
I will invest in a mic and stand and try this again after I move.
Thanks to @Camphuw for raising this topic!

1 Like

Quick update: I have now added the appropriate convolution files to all the systems at home. On the Unitiqutes I don’t notice much improvement, but on the NDS things seem different, especially compared to the convolution file via the Sony TV feeding into my main system.
Does anyone know why they recommend turning off ‘sample rate conversion’?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.