How and where do you rip your CDs?

I am one of the apparent minority storing and playing from the same box, connected to a DAC. I think it is great not having to be concerned about ethernet cables and switches that seem to occupy many people, whether searching for some holy grail, however nebulous that may be, or just enjoying tweaking or spending time and money playing with different approaches.

1 Like

Sorry @ChrisSU,
maybe you’re right and I expressed myself badly, knowing little about the IT world connected to hi-fi.
In my first post I was referring (or I would have liked to refer) to those who do not use hifi ripping systems, but wanting to consider included those who use hifi storage systems.
This explains a little my lack of familiarity.
On the other hand, there is no universally recognized way as best to rip, save, spread and listen to music files (PC, cd driver, hd, nas, all-in-one system, storage and/or streamers with or without dac, etc…)
Thanks anyway,
David

Any specific recommendations for an external hard drive where to save the cd ripped via pc?
I don’t mean a specific brand, but at least the basic technical characteristics to consider, if any …

It really doesn’t make too much difference if you use software such as dBpoweramp that uses either AccurateRip (this verifies the rip against numbers of the same album rips on the web) or Ultra Secure Rip (which runs a number of passes over the CD to check each pass is identical)
I use either a cheap drive that came with my Dell laptop, or a Samsung desktop DVD drive, the Samsung is so much faster & smoother than the Dell, but whatever I use, the rips all end up verified AccurateRip or Ultra Secure.

1 Like

Depends a bit on how much space you need, your funds, if the HD is part of a NAS, built into some computer, etc.

If you can, get an SSD. Look at the SSD’s TBW value (Terabytes to write), the higher the better. In M.2 format, the Samsung 970 EVO Plus (NVMe) and 860 EVO (SATA3) are quite widely liked. The EVO have better TBW than non-Evo models. There is also a more expensive PRO, but it has the same TBW as EVO - just that the PRO warranty is extended.

1 Like

I think about a no more than 2 TB, external and stand alone HD, not part of NAS.
Thanks

One of the mentioned ones or similar sets you back around 220 Euro for 2 TB, and an external enclosure maybe 20 more. To me it is worth it for the peace of mind. Assuming that writing to the disk is limited and it is mostly read, such an SSD should last forever in the absence of manufacturing defects - the 2 TB models have a warrantied TBW of 1200 terabytes written (or 5 years, whatever is first. The PRO have extended warranty but the same TBW value)

Unless the required storage space makes SSD too expensive (hence my asking about a NAS, possibly with RAID5 or 6 …) I see little point in using a mechanical disk anymore

1 Like

I rip them using a Plextor PX-891SAF Plus DVD/CD Writer in a OWC Mercury Pro 5.25" Optical Drive External Enclosure (USB 3.2 5GB/s) attached to my Mac using dBpoweramp. The files then get transferred from external SSD’s to a QNAP NAS.

1 Like

One more thing: It is recommended to leave space on SSDs. An SSD automatically marks broken cells and replaces them with unused ones. The more replacements are available, the better. Every SSD has a hidden amount of such replacements, tend to be a few percent of the official size. The PRO models can have longer warranty because their hidden amount is larger, therefore they are more expensive. But you can have the same benefit simply by buying a larger model than you will need. Details depend - if you plan to fill a 2TB disk completely, going to the next size of 4 TB may be overkill and expensive, and in this case getting the 2 TB PRO may make sense. On the other hand, if you need 1 to 1.5 TB, a 2 TB EVO will be fine

1 Like

I use the ONLY Naim approved method of ripping and storing music*

The UnitiCore

And excellent it is too

*Ok …maybe other ways are allowed

2 Likes

Having traded in my Unitiserve SSD I’ve reverted to ripping new CD’s via an external Blu-ray drive (Verbatim) hooked up to my iMac using Phile Audio software. Any amends to naming / file structure done through Metadatics software. Files are then stored on my Synology DS418Play NAS. Whole thing works a treat.

Still annoys me in this day and age of minimising waste why a physical CD is often way cheaper than downloading an album (assuming I can’t get a high res version). That plastic CD then sits in a box never to be used again, unless I move it on.

3 Likes

indeed

Quick Q if I may for the Asset experts…I have named my NAS as “MainNAS”.
Why in my app does it show 1. Asset UPnP: Main NAS and 2. Main NAS (With Synology Icon)?

Both take me to my files but through different options, albeit the MainNAS option doesnt show the artwork thumbnails.

Thanks

NB

Asset does not link to the Synology DSM data, such as it does with Synology’s ‘Media Server’ UPnP.

You can rename what Asset shows in the app by changing the ‘Asset UPnP Identification’ tag in Asset Configuration, it can be changed to show Main NAS but will still show the Asset logo.

Thanks Mike. Can I uninstall the Synology Media Server UPnP app then?

I only want Asset

Yes indeed, uninstall it, plus any other program you don’t use. It reduces RAM & CPU load

Great, new to this Mike!

Thanks for prompt help.

1 Like

Not sure you need to uninstall it, just turn it off via the Synology settings, and it will stop running and disappear from view.

By “uninstalling” in Synology, it removes it from the DSM . Uninstall is a specific command to remove it, alternative is OFF which leaves it running in the background.
Uninstalling any Synology program does not remove, delete or zap it, its still in the Package Center

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.