How best to mend old LP sleeves?

Here’s a late entrant for least exciting thread of 2019, but wondering if there’s any sage advice on the forum for WHICH ADHESIVE is safest (from a viewpoint of possible damage to the disc) and most effective to re-glue album seams that are separating or have totally separated as per the pic below?

A friend of mine uses Gorilla glue contact adhesive, he puts a smear on where the original glue held them together, waits 30 seconds and then brings the two surfaces together. Job done.

2 Likes

I use pritt stick.

1 Like

Pritt for me too. Seems to work.

And a black felt tip to smarten up spines and edges (on black sleeves!)

1 Like

When I looked into the subject of gluing paper/card safely (not acidic) I ended up with Pritt Power. I remember not being able to confirm the cheaper more common Pritt Stick being acid free, except for the usual copy, cut & paste that all sites churn out without any evidence. Pritt Power is very good, definitely acid-free and perfect for paper.

2 Likes

@Count.d

Petit Power eh? New to me…just ordered!

1 Like

Pritt stick always works for me!

I used to use Pritt, until my daughter told me not to. She didn’t have an alternative, so asked one of the library conservators. They recommended a brand of hot melt glue, but I couldn’t get on with it. I then discovered it wasn’t the stick you find in a DIY store but a tape. The applicator gun has a temperature control box, cost a couple of hundred pounds.
I now use neutral EVA and a fine line applicator. In the UK, try Preservation Equipment Limited.

1 Like

I’ve used a very fine bead of Wood glue (PVA) in the past for gluing together old sleeves. They’ve held up well with no ill effects.

1 Like

That in reality is all that it needs, I doubt that LP sleeves are conservation grade board.

Uhu Por contact adhesive for me…
Just because it’s what I always have around
Light smear along the join…leave for 15mins…touch back together…job done

Archival pva, like they use for repairing books.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.