How did your Smart Meter Installation go?

Two weeks ago I had new smart meters installed for electric and gas. I’m still waiting for gas to connect. I suspect the combination of a large house, thick stone walls and distance (<10m) is causing the problem.

It seems Zigbee repeaters are not yet available and I have not got a dual band hub. No response yet from my energy provider.

The plus is that eventually I found the IHD supports SmartThings so I can get real time (1 minute delay) readings of electric (and pattern of consumption) anywhere in the world. Shame the meters and IHD don’t form a mesh as the IHD is quite close to the gas meter.

So how have your installations gone and if you have problems have they been fixed.

Phil

It has never worked. Had them 4 years.

No sign of them from my supplier.

Just the gas?

Phil

Electric and gas, fitted by British Gas. We’ve switched suppliers once a year ish since then. I suspect the ones we have are only designed to work with BG. I have to read and send manually.

1 Like

We have had 2 smart meters fitted. The original was not transferable due to old technology. The new one was fitted by EON, we have since moved supplier…so far so good.
The first smart meter was a nightmare we were switched with another customer…they got the meter supply numbers wrong :grimacing:

1 Like

I keep getting letters from Scottish Power telling me they need to change my smart meter. I have never had my power supplied by Scottish Power or a company they own, so they go straight into recycling. My smart meter has worked well as far as I know, well with the exception of when I left a stack of flight cases of camera gear in front of the gas meter for a few weeks. Then I got an estimated reading for gas for that month which puzzled me until I realised what I had done as I moved the flight cases to look at the meter. So a case of meters smart, this human not so smart.

1 Like

My Smets1 from E.on now works with Bulb. They are being upgraded, which is good for the environment.

Been there with Scottish Power. Never again.

Phil

1 Like

Bulb can now cope. The App displays usage a day later.

Phil

We had them fitted in Oct 19. Didn’t really need them as we know exactly how much energy we use but they came as a condition of the Tariff. It all worked fine from the off even though the gas meter and electricity meter are at opposite ends of the house but 1 month later the comms module on the electricity meter failed so no data was being sent internally to the IHD or to the supplier. Trying to get someone from EON to understand the problem and just send a technician out to replace the module wasn’t easy (not helped by COVID). Usually the excuse was a SW problem, blaming the DCC or other random excuses so I basically gave up. Greater things to be worried about…

Having a bit of time on my hands this afternoon, I gave EON another call and actually got through to someone useful. They found my call record, apologised profusely for the poor service and the delay in fixing the issue and booked me a technician visit. Hopefully that will sort the issue out.

1 Like

Have been with bulb and now pure planet, can’t remember who else. No one receives any data from our meters.
I suspect, like our WiFi, the house construction is so solid the signal doesn’t get through to the main module because of high attenuation.

11 billion pound rollout for these ‘free’ smart meters, it’s clear who’s going to pay for them…

3 Likes

Have struggled to think of one reason why I would need a smart meter. Not happened yet. Not going to happen.

13 Likes

The installer should have at least got the hub connecting to the DCC so the electric is reported. I would at least log the problem with your supplier. I take it you meter is inside the house like our latest installation in a property we let. Good luck!

Phil

Ours are SMETS2 devices in the kitchen cupboard. When the energy provider said that we had to provide readings as they couldn’t see them I investigated. Found Mrs Mike had decided that was a good cupboard in which to store our not inconsiderable stock of tin foil - relocating that solved the issue!

4 Likes

Nice one! Did it connect automatically?

Phil

Yep, didnt do anything else.

1 Like

The electric meter works ok located on the inside, the gas located in a built in box on the outside wall worked for awhile then stopped, it was replaced but that stopped as well, they were both SMETS 1 meters fitted by EDF, no sight of a solution. Phillips hue which I think uses zigbee works all over house inside and out with no problem.

1 Like

My distribution system operator installed a smart meter for electricity two weeks ago. Seems to work fine. Hue bulbs work fine. Anyway, most important for me was if there will be a negative impact on sound quality of the system.

Luckily there is no such thing as a bad influence, my system sounds better now. I don’t know if it’s only because the contacts were tightened again after 30 years or due to the possibly lower impedance compared to the old Ferraris meter. Maybe both of it.

1 Like

Had them for about 3 years no problems. The newer smet2 meters use a mobile network to send readings. Your internal energy meter showing you what you are using uses Bluetooth I beleive