How do you archive/store your photos/video?

Indeed not.

But then, I won’t download a hi-res FLAC file and spend hours playing around with it to try to get it to sound just right either.

I agree, it’s been like that for a few years for me too.

The other day my son and I went for a walk, he had to take some photos for a bit of schoowork, I told him he could use my old Canon 30D, and I stuck a 28-135mm lens on. He had his iPhone,

I was telling him we’d need to ‘use our feet’ to get a big tree in frame - on the Canon yes (non-full frame sensor didn’t help), I was gobsmacked when he showed me he’d used wide mode on his newish iPhone and the pic beat the one from the Canon hands down.

The zoom on the Canon won, but every year smartphones are getting better and better.

Yes, I keep saying it, but never get around to doing it!

We just change/upgrade equipment to get it to sound right :grinning:

Sounds a neat solution.

All my photos are stored on my MacBookPro SSD, I backup regulatly using rsync on two HD, one at home and the other at work.

1 Like

That’s an interesting solution - so you take the MBP to work and backup there or bring the HD at work home?

Sounds as though you have a manageable library and have culled things you won’t need going forwards? I’d probably struggle to get my photos on a MBP SSD unless I was paying for a large capacity one.

I take the MBP to work and do the backup there. I have also two HD to backup my Melco music library, one at home and the other at work and rotate the two HD between home and work

I have a 1 TB MBP and I am considering buying an external SSD to hold some of my photos, good quality Samsung SSD are relatively affordable now.

I need to get a new Mac since trashing my old MBP (only 256GB SSD), but am limping along with an old 2012 Mini. For a few years I’ve been booting from external Samsung T3/T5 SSDs and they are great.

I was used to a 4 bay Mac Pro with 4x4TB internal drives, still have it, and need to get it up and running again.

Smartphones are getting better and better, but are still not good for wildlife, most sports, airshows, indoor shows, … And the tiny sensor gives a large depth of fields that is a nuisance in many situations.

Lightroom for organizing and RAW conversion; Drobo 5D backed up to a Drobo 5C; of which I also keep two large master backup drives - one in the office and one in a Penguin case out in the garden shed, both backed up occasionally with a bare drive reader. I use Carbon Copy Cloner for backing up. Mac Pro 2013 with six cores and 64gb to run it all.

1 Like

I agree entirely, but for most family usage they are becoming more and more convenient compared to lugging heavier equipment around on day trips/holidays.

I’m a hobbyist who’s spent a lot on digital photography/DSLRs/lenses over the years and am probably going to upgrafe the 5D II but the phones are all round value for money.

Drobo - I have one of the old ones, as usual in storage, and what kind of power lead it has I have no idea but will undoubtedly find!

CCC is excelleht, use that often.

Maybe I just need to take a chance on subscription LR though my older versions should be fine for current Canon kit on an appropriate OS X/mac OS version.

Will have to move forwards soon though I think…

Drobo’s are great in that one can use any size or make of drive in them as ‘RAID’ though it is proprietary so if the box itself goes down it can only come back up by transferring the drives to a Drobo of the same make. Of course never rely on one set of drives or enclosure of any kind - always have back ups - even of backups.

1 Like

Yes my Drobo is in storage, for the life of me I can’t find the power supply currently - it’s a fairly old 4 bay model with 4x2TB drives - as you say being proprietary I might be stuck if the enclosure now fails.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.