How do you decide?

So what would you recommend as a streaming system that will not break the bank…i could probably go to an ND5XS2…but not sure I can deliver a decent feed…

To add to this, I run Roon on an old Mac Mini Server.
I replaced the internal drives with a pair of Samsung EVO SSD’s (2x 2TB)
I connect a Chord Hugo DAC directly to the Mac and connect the Hugo via RCA IC to my amp.

I can control the whole thing from my phone and this works seemlessly with a consolidated view into my local library + Qobuz and Tidal libraries online.

You don’t need a dedicated Roon endpoint streamer .

1 Like

Additional to my last post. I initially used an iFi iDSD USB DAC on my Mac Mini Roon server and that works well also. You can get a capable USB DAC like the iFi for not a lot of money and a used Mac Mini for next to nothing.

You can also do something similar with a Raspberry Pi and a bit of effort for peanuts.

My system’s an old MacMini (one I’d discarded- 11 years old) running Roon and having the ripped CDs stored on it (I don’t use Quboz or Tidal). I’ve got this sat with my IT equipment connected to my home network (ethernet).

I’ve got an Allo digione signature streamer sat on the network in my study which feeds an nDAC through the SPDIF input. My solution is a little ‘techy’ but I am an (ex) telecoms engineer and general nerd.

I think that the ND5XS2 would replace it quite simply just leaving the Mac Mini on the network.

It would be possible to see if Roon was for you using an existing PC running Roon (they give you I think a month) and a cheap USB connected DAC (USB to the PC running Roon, audio out to your amp/pre-amp).

This wouldn’t have the sound quality of the ND5XS2 but it would allow you to experience Roon and see if it’s for you before committing a significant sum.

1 Like

Agreed here, I actually run a mix of both using a Mac Mini Roon Server with a USB DAC and an NDX2.
In terms of user experience both work seemlessly with Roon as the controller front end and database.

You can in fact try out Roon on a trial for free and just use the built in sound card on the host computer as a first step, a USB DAC will be much better but it’s not a necessity.

A Mac and a USB DAC or a Rasp Pi acting as a Roon Bridge will be a cheap and capable setup.

If you like what you find an ND5 XS2 will give you the same user experience from Roon but with a measurable improvement in sound quality and enjoyment.

I have 2 sources Vinyl and NDX for FLAC - I don’t stream

first choice is musical quality of recording, I use my LP12 95% of the time, so Vinyl would always be my first choice

if the vinyl comes with a free download more the better so I can convert to FLAC for NAS & I Tunes for the car (IPOD) but if not I will just play the album

early in my journey vinyl was always going to be my prefered source and I can see this changing, do own a lot of digital music in High res

I buy 50% cd,40% vinyl and 10% cassette. Cost does not enter into the equation but quility does. I travel all buying all formats of music. It’s just an obsession. I have a friend who buys more cds than vinyl also. Just love the music.

I also have the sense that making a conscious decision to purchase vinyl is a more meaningful acknowledgement of the recording artists efforts and they are more directly rewarded for their efforts.
Having been involved myself in the production of material to vinyl I’m aware of the commitment and effort that requires.
Done well, it arguably provides the listener with the most truthful representation of the artistic process, partly why it remains as relevent today as it’s always been.
The same can’t be said for streaming, which whilst it provides the consumer with access to an enormous library of content and a level of convenience not possible with physical formats, doesn’t necessarily reward the artist appropriately given the number of middle men involved in the distribution chain.

1 Like

@Mr.M And I also like very much the notion of a vinyl collection which as you say…CD doesn’t quite do it …not for me anyway.
I feel the same about photographs which IMHO always look better on paper than they do in pixels!

I had the pleasure of spending some time in the company of Mike Valentine who owns and runs Chasing the Dragon Records.

(http://chasingthedragon.co.uk)

His level of passion and energy in the pursuit of attaining the very best representation of an artists talent and skill is to my ears second to none.

He explained his no limits approach from a technical perspective to creating the very best recording environment and technique.

The material he has produced and overseen is not what I would consider my typical listening genre however having listened to some of his recordings on a very capable and revealing system which on that occasion was based around Focal Utopia, Statement amplification and Technics SL-1000R source, I found myself emotionally moved and to the point at times of being in tears at the impact the music had.

I’d encourage anyone to take a look at his work and enjoy his labels recordings in respect to my earlier comments.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.