How do you defrost you car windscreen in the cold weather?

Yes, I’ve used tepid water in the past, just boiled would be daft but people do it!

Invariably get myself wet!

As I can’t currently park off-road I think such a device would soon be nicked!

More importantly I’m not that organised!

That would be ideal - provided one has a) a garage and b) it’s accessible.

I fail on b) and partly on a) as the garage is full of crap!

3 Likes

Crumbs, have things moved on that far in only a few years?

1 Like

Probably worth a punt even if some twit nicks it.

Double garage, crap (remainder following serious decluttering) is stored elsewhere :smile:

1 Like

Micro-climates (for want of a better phrase) are odd - one side of the road the cars will all be frosted up, the other side few or none at all.

Crumbs, feel as though I’m in the dark ages - cars are only 4 years old- does this work without idling the engine?

I’ve had a number of Ford cars, and always add the option for “Heated Windscreen”. It works brilliantly, and clears in about a minute, and can often save you running the AC. As has already been indicated, I understand that Ford got the patent for this, and stopped other manufacturers from using it.

I was told that the patent has ended and other manufacturers can now do this, but that doesn’t sound right.

4 Likes

I think I had a Ford SUV of some kind as a courtesy vehicle a few years ago which had this.

I used an ice scraper this morning on the windscreen and side window. Took a minute at most. The rear screen quicky defrosted.

1 Like

I reckon that @Debs had the right idea. I would just add a large duvet and a couple of “hot toddies“. :grinning:

2 Likes

Don’t know how many ice scrapers or gloves I have, but can I find them? :melting_face:

An old credit card would probably suffice.

2 Likes

By chance, I found mine in the glove compartment which amazingly was the first place I looked. I think it cost about 20p when I bought it about 15 years ago, IIRC it was in a sale bin at a petrol station in early summer. One of my better bargain buys.

1 Like

Fitted as standard on my 1989 Ford :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Possibly not a good idea, in some ways. If you drive home in the evening, and it is wet out, and you put the car straight into the garage and close the door, you might create perfect conditions for rust to form - warm and damp.

Retirement is a good method. I’ve rarely needed to defrost the car since.

9 Likes

I live where the water doesn’t freeze. :smiley:

3 Likes

Plastic tdk cassette cases usually worked in a pinch, good idea to remove the tape first though…….

3 Likes

Fully agree - still damp air kills a car. To get around it (if you have the space) put a fan in the garage to keep the air moving

1 Like