How do you leave your NDX2

Hi all

Those that leave the screen on and don’t put your NDX2 in standby do you select a unused channel when not in use?

Cheers

Popeye

I just knock off the screen in the evening via the app

Yes. I do think Naim should if possible in a firmware update make the lights button on the remote turn the screen on and off and the 3 strengths of green light for the mode buttons directly on the NDX2 be done just via the app!
Seems the wrong way around to me. @Richard.Dane has this been suggested before?

Cheers

1 Like

I think the general consensus is that the screen implementation is not the best, it’s all been mentioned before lots of times so hopefully it’ll filter down to a firmware upgrade at some point

1 Like

Sometimes I hit the power button on the Zigbee remote. Sometimes I just hit pause in Roon Controller. I have the screen configured to be off by default.

I have all unused inputs ‘off’. Screen ‘off’ and, I’ve just set ‘never’ for standby this last week as I think it sounds better.

G

1 Like

I let mine go into stand by, or the sensitive to such stuff circuitry remains powered in stand by… I takes about 10 mins to fully come back on song.
All the inputs are left alone… designed not to make any difference with the later streamers.

1 Like

Try the ‘never’ standby setting Simon. You might be surprised…or not.

G

Hi Graeme, happy new year. I did try early on and heard no benefit… and I do remember listening to the Naim designers explaining to me why that was likely the case with the new design… so I let it go into stand by now.

Fair enough Simon. After a few days not ‘going on and off’ I feel the NDX2 a little more transparent - certainly more consistent - in replay.

Best wishes for 2020

G

Indeed fair enough… I drive an off board DAC which may affect things, can’t remember if you do or not.
I do find after a power cycle or after reset, in transport mode, it does take some time to get to it’s best again… to me that does show the importance of the transport

1 Like

No Hugo for me Simon. XPSDR.

G

Ahh ok… but I didn’t think they went fully into standby with the off board power supplies…, as the main powersupply is powered all the time in that case.
I use the NDX2 powersupply… and it has its small SMPS power management system

Hmm…Whatever the details, I’m fairly sure I’m hearing a benefit from ‘always on’.

G

Yes, perhaps with off board powersupply, the key internal circuitry is not left powered in stand by mode…so it works differently. Certainly can’t see how the SMPS power management module would work.
Do you hear the internal relay type click sound when the NDX2 comes off ‘standby’ with off board power supply?

Good you are still enjoying your Hugo… I think you know I love mine… we did have a trial separation, but definitely back together again.
Though I do use a third party twin decoupled regulated power supply on it… and it brought the bass firmness and clarity similar to the Dave as well as a clarity I enjoy… I think my original Chord power supply was going off… I could hear a slight improvement with ‘insight’ when I removed it to run on batteries… so I changed it

Hi Simon, no Hugo here and no, I no longer hear the click as I used to.

I found it took nearly 20m for the NDX2 to settle from standby.

G

I use the NDX2 with XPS DR. I just press the standby button on the remote or Naim app.
I don’t know if this is the best solution, it just seemed the obvious one.
SN3 left on with volume to zero. Hi Cap when it returns will be left on.
Innuos Zen left on.
Start up with Naim app on iPad.
If this is incorrect I’d appreciate advice.

ah yes - i re read - i see you now have no Hugo. So with out the click (which I think is the SMPS being disconnected for normal operation) and the off board PSU feeding the NDX2 - i do wonder what the standby actually means in that context.

I hear about 20 minutes from power cycle or reset - but not from standby - so it is curious as to what is occurring with off board PSU and standby.

1 Like

I have XPS. I cannot hear any difference with using standby or not, nor with leaving lights/screen on or off. I also don’t hear any difference leaving 252 lights on/off.

1 Like

I using NDX2 on its own haven’t heard any difference putting it into standby. It is however still running in as it’s only a couple weeks old. If anything is sounded better after being in standby for 10 hours.