How Does One Maximise The Use Of PSUs

Good Afternoon.
Not wishing to power a Superline from my SN3 what is the minimum number of Naim PSUs can I use to power the following and which PSUs would they be.
SN3
Superline
ND5XS

I find the combinations of PSUs and equipment somewhat baffling.
Thank you.
Kind Regards.

The minimum number of PSUs you need is none. They are optional upgrades for all the boxes you mention, but as you say you don’t want to use the Supernait to power the Superline, you will need a Flatcap, Hicap or Supercap for that.

I would spend the money on the source which is used the most. If it is equalish, I would spend it on the Nait, which also benefits the phono stage.

Hi.
I did not word my question very well.
I have to have a PSU on the Superline for it work.
So assuming I wish to upgrade is there a psu that would power the SN3 and the ND5?
Or any combination of 2 of the 3 pieces of equipment with the HiCapDR feeding the 3rd piece of equipment.
I hope this makes sense.
Kind Regards.

Hi.

I have to have a PSU on the Superline for it work.
So assuming I wish to upgrade is there a psu that would power the SN3 and the ND5?
Or any combination of 2 of the 3 pieces of equipment with the HiCapDR feeding the 3rd piece of equipment.

Kind Regards.

It is my understanding that you can power the SL from the SN, the external PSes are optional

Edit: and now I see in the opening post that you don’t wish to do this, which is fine of course and your choice, but you seem to know that you don’t “have to have a PSU on the Superline for it to work”. So I am confused now :slight_smile:

Hi, as I understand it,

1. The ND5XS requires an XP5, XS or XPS to power it separately

2. The Suplerline can be powered from a Flatcap, HiCap or SuperCap The SL should also have a Burndy connection to a SC which is a farly large multipin connector with about 18 pins.

3. The SN3 can be powered from a Flatcap, HiCap or SuperCap but the SN3 does not have the Burndy connection.

A Flatcap 2 has two outputs (but no burndy O/P)

A SC can only be used to power one item as far as I know, its dual outputs are intended for a 82 or 282

So assuming I wish to upgrade is there a psu that would power the SN3 and the ND5? Unfortunately not.

If you want the minimum of PSUs but don’t wish to power the Superline from the Supernait 3 then all you’ll need is a power supply on the Superline. I would recommend a Hicap as a minimum here.

Hi @RogerGround ,

Per your post of a few days back, my understanding is you have:

1- HiCapDR connected to SN3
2- ND5XS fed from a XP5 XS.

• would like a Superline (SL) but no more boxes than necessary?

The simple answer remains to either use the SN3’s dedicated feed to power the SL, with the Hi-Cap being used to power the SN3 (FYI, it doesn’t power all of it - only enhances the pre-amp section AFAIK).

Or,

Power the SL with the existing Hi-Cap and run the SN3 ‘bare’.

Yes, Naim’s portfolio of PS’s can be tricky to understand but one rule is that one PS supplies only one item of kit.

I think you want to maximise your vinyl quality (?) and would suggest proceeding per first option above (by all means experiment with 2nd option) and then add a separate & dedicated Hi-Cap to the Superline another time.

As mentioned above, to max-out the quality of a Superline you’d need to get a (dedicated) SupercapDR to feed it, with linking burndy cable - quite costly over the Hi-Cap option. Some report they prefer the Hi-Cap/Superline combo over adding a Supercap - only your ears can decide.

Thanks to everybody for their input.
I know understand the PSU family and what is best connected to what and the “rules of thumb”
My plan would be to borrow a Superline and try it fed from the SN3 and then power it from the HiCap and run the SN3 bare and see which set up sounds best to my ears.
Thanks once again for the help and advice.
Kind Regards.
Roger

Hi Roger,

My money remains on option 1 sounding better :smile:

I’m sure you will but do explain to the dealer what you are doing as the SL may not come with the cables you’ll need to hook it up to the Hi-Cap.

In which case you will need a 4-5pin DIN interconnect to return the signal to your SN3.

1 Like

My guess is that if you power the Superline from the Supernait, the performance of the Superline will improve in line with the quality of the PSU used on the Supernait, because ultimately that’s where the power is coming from.
I would normally consider a Supercap to be a bit much for a Supernait, but perhaps in this case it would be worth a try.

Interesting trivia this:

AFAIK, the PS upgrade in to a SN3 feeds the pre-amp stage. Do you know if the PS also feeds the dedicated SL feed - or does this remain tapped off the SN3’s own transformer, which is under less stress by virtue of the PS?

AFAIK it’s not a dedicated feed straight from separate windings on the PSU like it is in the 52, 252, and 552. However, it certainly should make a difference for the better.

I think if your SN3 is not going to be changed, then a supercap is over the top and powering both the SL & SN3 with HiCaps an option.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.