How good a streamer does one need for online streaming services

It’s on the second page of Classifieds at the moment, so easy to scroll through. There is a search function but I have never used it. I have found PFM to be the best and safest place to buy/sell HiFi and photographic gear over several years.

In terms of performance it’s from the level above the ND5 XS but it’s the previous generation of streamer so it won’t play Qubuz. It does Tidal.

Having said that I haven’t compared them head to head.

Given you haven’t bought anything yet I’d suggest auditioning some items at a dealer. One of the Uniti plays may be the simple solution you need.

If 3k is really your limit you should consider a pre-owned Superuniti. It does not do Qobuz, but is gives any movie the punch you are looking for (good speakers provided). You can connect the TV to it via Toslink, so you “jump” the cheap DAC that’s in the TV and enjoy the resulting improvement in SQ.
Tidal works very well, though not with Tidal connect, you need to use the Naim app (which is fine), SQ is as good as Tidal gets (which is very good indeed). You can add Qobuz by buying an additional little streamer box (without DAC) at a few hundred quid. Is you TV a recent model? If so, it may just as well offer Qobuz service, so you can stream from the TV to the Superuniti, again without having to go through the TV’s DAC.
Or you get a Superuniti with BT and stream from your phone - with all BT drawbacks included of course. Kind of absurd if you ask me.
The options are plenty :wink:

I previously wrote on another forum topic.
You should be aware of 1st gen streamer issues such as Qobuz and flac that have been covered in this forum. Do you really want to start with workarounds on your “new” streamer?

I was on the same path as you a couple of years ago and decided to look elsewhere, with no subsequent regret.

1 Like

I have Atom Headphone Edition which has made the most of Qobuz and is an able streamer. At the moment I’m using headphones and multiroom to my first Gen MuSo, which my family are used to. I’m thinking of active speakers with interconnects. Acoustic Energy AE1 is the top of my list, but there are plenty of possibilities. Of course the headphone edition was designed primarily as a headphone amplifier so if you don’t intend to use that function then perhaps there are other solutions which would suit you better.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.