How good is the Supercap DR on the Superline?

I have the Supercap DR in an AV Options rebuild with an AVO rebuild Superline. I have had both since 2013. It is a great product. The rebuild is a nice upgrade. Amazing in many ways if you have the vinyl.

Before you spend the money to do this, you should evaluate your own commitment to vinyl in today’s world. I did and I did the upgrade. You may have a different answer. All the important music and more is on Quobuz.

When your favorite artist passes away, your vinyl will be even more special, but Quobuz will have that and more online by the end of the week. I miss Christine McVie very much. I love her more with Quobuz. Her vinyl will be gone ( and prohibitively expensive ) well before her memory.

Just know yourself. The Supercap is more than worth it, but it is a big commitment. And Quobuz is a monthly payment, and after the DAC, with no capital investment to speak of.

2 Likes

There’s no doubt the SCDR takes the Superline to the next level.

In my experience, it only makes sense to put that kind of money into a phonostage after the deck, cartridge and rest of the system is maxed out to where you want it.

Your money would be better spent on the deck or preamp in my opinion.

3 Likes

This part is key I think. If one has a moderate source, then the cost of a Supercap[DR] + Burndy + DIN4-5 to power a Superline might be more wisely applied to the TT/arm/cart first.

1 Like

Supercap DR realizes the full potential of the Superline. It was designed to take advantage of the multiple rails of power supplied by the Supercap. I can’t imagine running it any other way. Highly recommended.

5 Likes

When I first auditioned the SuperLine, I powered it from the 282’s Aux socket, and found it markedly better than my Linn Linto. One of the easier auditions I’ve done. I later added a SuperCap to the 282, and moved the 282’s HiCap to the SuperLine. Someone on this forum suggested I swap the supplies around, per the source first principle. I was sceptical, but, though there were tradeoffs, on balance I preferred the sound with the SuperCap on the SuperLine.

Having powered it all three ways, I liked the HiCap the least. Compared to the Aux socket, it improved the sound to a fair degree in all the expected hi-fi ways, but seemed to sacrifice some integration, and some of the magic was lost. The SuperCap gave me all the hi-fi fireworks I could want, and was vivid and lifelike in a way that made the HiCap seem pedestrian.

Others have suggested investigating a better pre before considering a SuperCap. If I were starting over, that’s definitely what I’d do. I don’t know how the numbers stack up, but if I were choosing between a pre-loved 552 with an Aux-powered SuperLine versus a 252 with a SuperCap-powered SuperLine, I would take the 552 in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

Moving to a SupercapDR with my Superline was one of the best upgrades I have made over the years.

Well worth it if you have the opportunity.

Richard

Well yes obviously.
I had an over £40k new price turntable to use with it, so plenty good enough.

What i was trying to say is that the superline run from the 2 separate power lines it will get from a supercap dr, when using it on a 252, or the 552 will do the same. Is a very good way to run it, and a much cheaper way over a separate supercap just for the superline.
Yes the separate supercap will bring more to the party, but its not massively better for the outlay, and my view the sweat spot for it really. As once you add the cost of a separate supercap dr, and also the other adds on you will also need it’s suddenly more than doubled in price.
Spending double the amount on a power supply to run the piece of gear, isnt in my eyes a great combo. I would rather the money went into producing a better phono stage to start with.
Plus when you start to look at all the costs involved, then suddenly the superline is in very tough competition price range, and lots off other fantastic options are available.

Thats why i feel the sweet spot is without the supercap, and then for the money its a fantastic great value phono stage.

Each to their own. We found the SL + SCDR + correct Z foil Airplug to be absolutely tremendous and simply dead right. Expensive but reassuringly so.

Other versions of the SL we found to be less good value, even at their considerably lower price points. Our Moon 310LP/320S bettered the SL powered off our 52 or a Hicap DR, while the humble DV P75 phono stage with a DV cartridge ran it far too close for comfort.

In short, we’d go all in or not at all, preferring to look elsewhere instead.

YMMV.

Best regards, BF

I have not heard the Moon.

I can agree with @Bluesfan that the DV P75 mk4 is outstanding VFM, and very close to a SL powered by an old Hicap, though it is a little less detailed and subtle than a Superline powered by a 52’s Aux 2 imho.

The DV is good enough that I bought one for Tasmania, to go between LP12/ Krystal and 82. I just tried the DV into 52 - not as good as the SL, but better than my recollection of SL and Hicap into 82.

If you can get a 252 (or 52) and get a SCDR for your SL as well, I am sure it would be great. If not, I’d get the better preamp first, but (as you can see) others may disagree.

I went from powering mine on a 252 to a separate SCDR. I thought it was indeed massively better. That took it to another level of excellence. I also use a Z-Plug (Airplug with z-foil) on mine.

4 Likes

As said we all see and hear things differently.
A massive difference for me is more like going from a full fat superline to a good valve set up.
This is massively different in sound etc.

I certainly wouldn’t say going from driving a superline from say a 552 to a separate supercap is massively different, its different yes, but it still sounds pretty much the same.

Life is all the more interesting when we each perceive changes differently.
SL on the 52 Aux2 socket with the standard 500R resistor was a case of “no thank you, I prefer the P75.”

Add the 453R z foil Airplug and matters improved to “better than the P75 but is that all?” to me.

SL on SCDR was more like “oh my goodness, that’s fabulous.”

Best regards, BF

1 Like

The Superline is a different animal when hooked up to a SCDR. I used a HiCap DR for many years and enjoyed it but with a SCDR it’s more detailed and organic - one of those things where it just sounds right.
I had a fault on the SCDR paired with my 252 so loaned one from my dealer. When my own SCDR arrived back I asked if I could keep hold of his SCDR and try it on my Superline. I was absolutely blown away. I’ve now had it over a year and I’m still in awe. I would be amazed if you don’t feel the same.

2 Likes

With many Linn and Lyra MCs, I think the 453 air-plug is indeed fairly dramatic - a material upgrade for not much money. Mind you, 453 won’t be the right score for all MCs.

Indeed Nick, the 453R is ideal for Dynavector moving coil cartridges, so probably not for many others such as Lyra.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

I found it right for Krystal and Lyra Kleos, but I expect that any SL Lyras will sound odd with 453, ditto Koetsus and the like. Mind you, I am quite willing to be corrected on the last bit.

2 Likes

I tried for a while to get to less boxes and found that there was no substitute for the SCDR with my Superline. Absolutely perfect pairing. I have a Javelin tonearm with a linn Krystal on my LP 12. Tried using just the power from the 552, tried a urika off of a radikal. My dealer couldn’t have agreed more either, saying to only better it would be spending lots more on another phono stage. It just works, go for it! You’d probably find a second hand one around too if patient.

1 Like

Did you try 576R with your Krystal ?

2 Likes

I’m with you Katmaimatt

The SL with the SCDR is the ultimate combination , it’s a cracker

Not sure if it will be replicated under the new classic gear at some stage

Not parting with mine that’s for sure

2 Likes

I have a 453R Z-Plug I used with my Dynavector XV-1s, but it’s slightly too much load for my Lyra Atlas SL, so I am having a 470R made up for that.

2 Likes