How it looks / not how it sounds

I fear I’m acquiring a reputation :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very much a Khan. Take the top plate off and you’ll see the typical spiral milled into the surface.

For top plate read outer platter - too late in the evening obviously!

Quobi preamp/ dac 24/96, to listen in bluetooth.

3 Likes

You see a lot of horns of similar size in my neck if the woods. Which is perplexing given how small all the homes are here.

1 Like

Bremen2 insideblue3

:small_blue_diamond:Bremen No.1…A legendary DAC from Sweden,that swept the track with its competitors world wide.
Its superb analogue sound.
Each copy,…handbuilt by the constructor himself.
Chassis of pure copper.
PCB in Teflon.
:black_small_square:All-in as usual,when it comes to Peter Steindls (fd Bremen) creations.

This was the best DAC you could buy around 1996 onwards.
This hifi friend is an extreme perfectionist even today.
I remember when he sat at my dining table,and told the rest of us how he built this DAC,…it was extremely.
All components are heat-matched to an extremely low level as an example,…and I mean extremely low.
Two out of one hundred components matched😉.

Below from one of many,many reviews world wide.

”The Bremen No.1 from Sweden is the best sounding,most musically correct digital to analog converter available for compact disc playback.

If you like the Forsell Air Reference converter, you’ll really enjoy the Bremen No.1.

Here’s why:
The Forsell Air Reference and Bremen No.1 digital to analog converters share a similar circuit design.

Where they differ is in their final voicing through fine tuning with careful component selection.
Listening to the Bremen No.1 will change your reference of how a CD can sound.
Never before have you heard CDs with such life-like vocal presence,instrument tonality,and dynamics!

Features:
Delta-Sigma 1-bit digital converter.
All discrete class A analog circuitry.
Proprietary constant current loop power supply circuitry.
Primary power supply on separate circuit board, and isolated from audio circuitry.
Large toroidal power transformer.
S/PDIF and AES/EBU inputs.
All copper chassis.
WBT output connectors.

U.S. Retail Price: $7500,Discontinued.

The predecessor to the Bremen,called the Licence No.1, was rated “World’s Best” in Hi-Fi & Musik magazine,and many,many other magazines world wide.

The legendary high-end store “Sounds Of Singers” in New York,had Bremen No1 in its high end range
/Peder🙂

:small_blue_diamond:Maybe I’ll add that…The Forsell Air Reference Converter,mentioned in the post above,was also Peter Steindl’s construction.

But because of a conflict with Dr.Forsell,…Peter chose to develop his DAC under his own name.

/Peder :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

i didn’t know that forsell was sweden. The turntable from Forsell was impressive too.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond: Frenchrooster,…Yes Dr.Forsell is from Sweden.

The tonearm on that record player is really legendary,it is another Swedish gentleman who has constructed it, namely…
:black_small_square:Leif Häggmark,…see picture below.

Leif has throughout his life been the distributor of various classic High-End brands,…this through his firm AudioNord.
Leif Häggmark is known and respected all over the world in High-End Hifi circuitry.

For some brands Leif has also had the European Agency,…Krell,Audio Research,etc,etc.
Leif Häggmark is today over 70 years old,but still works with High-End HiFi.

/Peder🙂

plaza-0912-10
:black_small_square:Leif Häggmark in his home.

:black_small_square:Leif,and his employee,…Ludwig during a Hifi-Show.

:black_small_square:Krell Monoblock,…Internal image.
:black_small_square:These speakers probably need no presentation.

These above and many,many,many more High-End brands have been under Leif’s distribution. A very nice gentleman.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:Leif has so much goodies from the other side of this interest,…outside of Naim,and also Linn.
So I have to add some more pics…

bkpam250607_varumarkesbild_1
:black_small_square:Air Tangent turntable,with Leif’s tonearm.

:black_small_square:Audio Research Mono-block.

h58951-0-58951_600x600
:black_small_square:Lyra Catridge.

:black_small_square:From one of Leif’s demonstration rooms.

As I said,…A lot of goodies from the other side😁.

/Peder🙂

3 Likes

i like the tw acoustics turntables.

4 Likes

There is something beguiling about horns, while the lowpower they require means class A can be used without such concern for the heat and power consumption, though they require amps with very low noise. The trouble is low frequencies dictate really huge dimensions: in 1974 Wireless World published plans for a ‘no compromise’ full range folded horn design - though not quite full range as it only went down to 40Hz, where the cutoff would have been sharp. It was designed as a rectangular box, with dimensions something like 6-7ft high, 4ft wide and 3 or 4 ft deep, with bass horn mouth 4ft square. Of course, if building a house, one could build in concrete horns with all except the mouths outside the room…

i like the look of the belcanto reference black system. Only 3 boxes, preamp / dac/ streamer / amp. But 56 k. Never listened to it . Perhaps somebody ?

1 Like

astell kern makes not only portable devices. Here is the AK 500 n, preamp / streamer / server/ ripper/ dac in one box. Around 10 k.
Very special look, not for everyone probably.

I’ve heard this, paired with the matching A & K amp and power supply, played through Kef Reference 3s - whilst not quite in Classic Naim territory it wasn’t far away!

String is diamond plated silver/gold Core. Earpiece and noise activator is nano graphene encapsulated neodymium.

3A483E47-E1F8-4CF4-93B3-4F54296DF107-10295-00000A36BC05DF59

92869FC4-034F-4A5B-B9C5-3A588F484D90-10295-00000A3DB0CD2ECC

Zirconium bucket is the exotic upgrade for those with the most deepest of pockets.

14 Likes

the streamer was good ? i find it interesting to have a streamer / dac/ pre/ server / ripper in one box.

I’ve always though A&K deserve an award for the absolutely worst designed gear on the planet.

Especially their portable devices that have knobs and pointy angles to make them as un pocket friendly as if that was their intention.

i have not touched their portable devices, but find them relatively nice. But prefer the portable sony.
For the audio components ( the photo), i agree. How will they sell that? no woman will like very probably.

However, what i find interesting, is that in 1 box you have 5 components : dac/ streamer / server / ripper / preamp

French turntables, made by artisan / engineer Pierre Riffaud. No electronics or power supply, just the best mechanical engineering :

4 Likes