How it looks / not how it sounds

I used to have a Transcriptors hydraulic reference, with SME arm and Shure V15III. This was in the mid 70s, if I remember correctly.
I sold it on after about 5 years - I will always regret making such a foolish decision…

1 Like

color clash? what does it mean?

The Sonus Faber Elipsa would be my speaker of choice, based on appearance alone.

3 Likes

very nice, indeed!

1 Like

Unobrtusive and not normally noticed. Until the perfect affordable invisible system is made, I will stick with my current system until I win the premium bond jackpot.

I had held off from responding because I couldn’t think of any speakers that were worthy of inclusion in this thread, but DanielH has reminded me of the Sonus Faber Elipsa speaker, and so I will go along with that.

My nomination for the best looking system would be:

Transcriptor/Michell Hydraulic Reference or Michell Gyrodek TT (I have owned both)

Lecson AC1/AP3 amplifier and matching tuner - I agree with Richard on this one. I really wanted one of these so much way back in the 70s, but never managed to get one. An early version, because I believe that later versions unfortunately substituted Perspex for Glass.

Pioneer RT-909 R2R Tape Deck, although the iconic Revox A77 or B77 could be substituted at a pinch.

And of course, Sonus Faber Elisa or Stradeviri speakers.

Tasteful

Richard -
I’m glad you responded to this, I thought you would add some interesting (and not well known) pieces and you did. I had to look lecson and the yamaha tape deck up. Both are very interesting and good looking. The yamaha brings to mind the interior of an alfa 164 as to how all the buttons are arranged - no bad thing!

1 Like

Floating magnetic turntable.

4 Likes

I always thought a pair of these would look great (and incidentally sound good) in the right room - but a big room, as they are large! (the drivers you can see are 15 inch). I saw a pic once where it looked like they were in a stately home - and they fitted in perfectly.
Tannoy Westminster Royals

99dB/W sensitivity means they can reach very high sound levels in a large space - or otherwise you can get away with a relatively low power amp - good with valves (tubes).

2 Likes

I hear you brother !

In my eyes the Tannoy Kensingtons gr are just candy.

If there’s a fondness for Black Sabbath

Re-posting the Technics SE A5 power amp with their marvellous VU power meters and cats whiskers needles. Unfortunately I accidentally deleted my previous post when the bus hit a bump in the road. I’m wondering if I will receive a ‘be more careful next time’ badge…

5 Likes

Amazing but I wonder what happens if you get a power interruption. Does the platter and your prized vinyl come crashing down?

The Westminsters and Kensingtons might be brothers: these are the grandparents!

Tannoy GRF corner horns from the 1950s - even bigger than the Westminsters, but designed to be placed right in the corners of the room so relatively unobtrusive.

3 Likes

I seriously thought the McIntosh integrated turntable was an early April fools joke. After learning it was real I adjusted my thinking to believing it being just a joke.

I’ve long been a fan of unusual designs in hifi equipment. I suppose it’s one of the features that attracted me to the Nova (although I do think that the black colour doesn’t fully allow its beautiful design to show properly).

I have often wondered why hifi & speaker manufacturers generally refuse to move away from the usual rectangular plain black box (unless it’s their top of the range products).

Magico do some of their speakers in a variety of very pretty colors. I’d be interested in S3’s if money weren’t an issue.

2 Likes

+1

I bought them mainly because of their look. Their successors (Harbeth SHL5 Plus) sound waaay better but are not as great to look at !

In my eyes the most beautiful HiFi component of all time

12 Likes

I think I would probably say something like my system…

Gyrodec with SMEIV.
CB NAC62, NAXO2, 2*HiCap, 2xNAP250.
MK2 SBLs (walnut, no grilles)
All LEDs replaced with green ones when kit was serviced.

Sadly the rack doesn’t really work that well-Atacama Equinox. What it needs to complete is some Fraim to mount it in.

The bit that’s a little discordant is the NDac that I seem to be using increasingly. I wonder if it could be recased in a CB sleeve…

1 Like