How it looks / not how it sounds

Is that for autochanging between six singles?

2 Likes

When it comes to design there is no way not to mention last edition of Braun Atelier series.

Unfortunately Braun discountinued their business already quite a while ago as they didn’t, among other reasons, want to follow the trend of shorten development cycles for the sake of pseudo innovation.

3 Likes

404? which brand it is?

Looks good and sounds great

14 Likes

what is the brand? never seen that!

the most beautiful of naim, for me…

9 Likes

This thread reminds me of this article a while back in The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/nov/29/lost-in-music-the-world-of-obsessive-audiophilia

2 Likes

My dream turntable combination was always the cream finish Garrard 301, must be the strobe platter, SME 3012 and Decca FFSS with adaptor for the SME. After a lot of saving I eventually reached this level. Just looked so “right”.
Today: My Naim CD555 for totally different reasons. Its a big heavy black box looking unassuming, perhaps?, But with a kick unsuspected as it just sits powered up… Where do you play your CDs? Just here and lift the lid.
Douglas.

1 Like

Not quite sure about that unless we are talking about high end circles? For the past 10 or so years one of the main complaints regarding av/hifi equipment has been about its design.

They generally make beautiful products. Even the font they use is gorgeous. Then again I have a soft spot for German design. :grin:

Hear, hear :+1::+1:

I really dislike bling, and audio bling especially. So huge angular speakers (Wilson Audio and Focal, I’m looking at you), oil rig turntables (especially if they’re made of perspex), those big American muscle amps (Krell, ML) and (especially) that horrible McIntosh light and typeface. I rather like 1970s hifi, especially Sansui kit, which to my eye appears timeless.

On forum faves, I like the olive Naim look much more than black, LP12s for me MUST be fluted (otherwise they look too tubby) and while I appreciate that Fraim is a great support system, it’s too fugly for me to live with - I’d much prefer Isoblu, and any case, at the level I operate on, I’m not convinced moving to Fraim would make that much difference.

1 Like

The two prettiest TTs out there:

Bauer dps

and fluted afro LP12

8 Likes

my 3 preferred turntables

well tempered reference
sota millenia
sota cosmos 3

1 Like

Complaints where? What level of system?

The braun system is almost unfair to choose - almost all dieter rams designs qualify as gorgeous. One of my “treasures” is an admittedly rough braun t-1000 radio. Unfortunately, even the small braun clocks have become increasingly difficult to find.

On a major av forum that I have been frequenting. Mainly regarding the AVRs.

Look at this thing. Oilriggery at its worst - absolutely horrible.

2 Likes

that is a truly beautifull tt, when not playing records you can have chocolate pouring from the middle and use it as a chocolate fountain.

5 Likes

How about that beautiful 70’s design of current Luxman stuff?

You can’t even call it a throwback because they simply never moved past silver fascia with gain meters.

1 Like

Excuse my ignorance:
Advanced Gas Reactors?
AVR microcontroller?
AV Receiver (home cinema]?

Presumably the last of those, obliquely hifi? If so, it doesn’t seem quite like mainstream criticisms of hifi gear

not my taste also, like this oneimage

2 Likes