How it looks / not how it sounds

I think those work on the principle that the higher you get the disk the less it is affected by gravity, improving sound quality…

The silver one is clearly steam powered, to avoid any electrical noise from the motor. Not so sure about the gold one- initially it inspired thoughts of nuclear power, but then I saw the spare gold weights to the right the penny dropped - it is gravity powered, in a way a bit like a grandfather clock, the weights actually falling slowly and driving it, there being a centifugal regulator inside the central silver cylinder. Another clever way of avoiding electrical noise.

1 Like

gravity powered, like the clearaudio statement ?

2 Likes

1a3779030731a3f52908aeef05eeb525

19 Likes

True, Sorry. And the same for the guy who praised the Atom.

Max

1 Like

On which moon position does it sound best?

I have a Nova. But I do not like the design. Looks to me like a cake cut in the middle.

The entire Uniti range is in an eclectic style called le dust trappe.

1 Like

I always had a yearning for this amp, if totally impractical: Beautifully understated front panel - just as well as it’s rather hard to hide at something like 75 cm deep as well as its 30-something cm height. It doubles as central heating for the home, given its 1.5kw or so continuous electricity consumption regardless of sound level (350W RMS output in class A). And at maybe 100kg, wherever you have the fork lift put it, it stays!
Musical Fidelity SA 470
And although irrelevant to this thread, it was said to sound absolutely wonderful!

Not to mention the Tonträger shelf for the Bauer.

1 Like

Yes, that was my wife’s immediate response, rejecting the suggestion of a Qube or Muso in the kitchen

Is this a contest? Am I the winner? Ah, ok, no contest, I see, no, no, not a problem … :wink:
I had a small braun clock once - unfortunately I broke it…

Not a contest (L) I started this thread to see (possibly unknown) well designed and beautiful equipment. I hadn’t thought of the braun atelier, but glad to see it, but almost everything by Dieter Rams qualifies. I’m really enjoying this whole thread! What I expected to see however was a mix of pieces that may even come from different times. The best looking tuner, the best looking pre-amp,best looking amp…etc. I “simplified” my own list by using a receiver…on any given day, I could alternate between the the cold clean lines of the yamaha - with a gazillion buttons and switches and the warm blue lights of tandberg receivers . To me, these two well known receiver lines qualify of the ones I know… would like to see others too.

But the muso and Qb (and presumably the new Unitis too) have a “cleaning” setting in the app which means you can clean the dust out of the volume control recess without turn8ng the thing off or blowing any speaker cones.
Best
David

Friend of mine had a Transcriptors Prisma with SME 3009.

michell_prisma_2

Didn’t sound as good as my Rega Planar 3 but it looked great!

5 Likes

I saw a Naim Statement today in real life for the first time. Looks very cool in person, especially the wavy cooling fins down the side. Actually I think it stars in the movie Interstellar ? TARS = STATEMENT ? :slight_smile:

TARS

Versus

S1

6 Likes

Time for a picture. Just found the old pictures I had of my Lecson tuner that I thought were lost to Photobucket are still around…

10 Likes

A ‘stack’ of Naim separates CB/Olive/Classic Black has always looks hugely attractive to me in a purposeful way. I can’t think of anyone else (but correct me if I am wrong) other than pre 1990 Studer Revox that can make a stack look great. Maybe it’s the promise of Swiss craftsmanship similar to the appeal of Swiss watches?

10 Likes

i like the turntable

1 Like

Please stop it!

I think you missed the best of the lot!:wink:

7 Likes