How it looks / not how it sounds

Tony - that’s a good looking, but busy looking receiver - no, wait - it’s a tuner only (wow) and dual no less, here in the U.S. the only thing I ever saw of theirs were the dual/ united audio turntables. The U.S. importer or warehouse was just a few miles from me in Mt. Vernon. Thnx for sharing that awesome and unknown tuner.

1 Like

Tony - just looked closer at the controls, is that a variable “threshold” for stereo reception?

1 Like

some nice stuff :

jadis jd1 cd transport

gryphon diablo 300 integrated, with dac and phono:

new Bergman turntable

CEC TL0 cd transport

2 Likes

The gryphon equipment and the bergman tt are both nice choices but the cec cd is (to my mind) far too bulky and overdone. To me it looks like something spock would spread his vulcan hand across to open a door in the wall or at least a transporter.

SBLs look much better than this lot FR… :wink:

Love the looks and the sound.

13 Likes

Cannot find a non copyright picture of a Garrard 4HF, mine is in storage. Stupid prices on the auction site!

Of course a Nytech CTA252 deserves a place as well.

1 Like

I’m sure these sound a hell of a lot better than they look!:laughing:

1 Like

not my cup of tea, but the most important is that you like the sound.

I’m surprised no-one has posted any pics of Chord’s products (apologies if I’ve missed anything). As with anything out of the ordinary the styling generates as much or more dislike as it does admiration.

First the tiny Hugo, with its lights and thumbwheel volume control:

Picture misleading, only about 5x4 inches
From that to Dave, this picture showing the bare unit in black (as I have it) - realtively speaking a bit boring, though more interesting than a plain rectangular box.

Then there is Dave in all its glory on its optional stand (much as I like the appearance, I didn’t get the stand with mine as I felt it was a cost too far):
And finally a rack of Chord:

2 Likes

Is the stand for the Dave supposed to provide some audible benefit or is it just a stand to help the user operate it?

1 Like

No idea! I just know that Dave sounds wonderful without it. I guess it is supposed to make a difference, but whether that is £1500 worth of difference might be another matter… If I have that much spare cash sometime I may try and see (hear!)

It certainly (I think) adds to the aesthetics - and size, taking it to a ‘full width’ size at 48cm

1 Like

some very expensive and nice stuff, alternatives to the nd555…

metronome kallista cd transport and dac, metronome dream streamer
wadax dac server

1 Like

the Chord design reminds me always on Playmobil or something like that…

1 Like

There’s no accounting for taste! :grin:

1 Like

PURE CONCRETE and CARBON. It´s a syno from betonart in germany.

french neodio s2 cd player and a2 integrated amp. Very nice, in a naim style, perhaps more refined…image image

2 Likes

33133683665_ba2ed95c29_z

LP12 and Gale 401s … with some olive and chrome bumper Naim in between. Good looking kit that sounds wonderful too :wink:

Mr Tibbs

6 Likes

Two rather contrasting approaches to the same job:

The first seems to fit the thread theme for styling and design.

Clearaudio Statement TT1i Parallel Tracking Tonearm

The second because 60 years or so ago it was the pinacle of design, a unipivot arm, maybe the first?

Designed for the then new microgroove records spinning at 33 or 45 rpm, it appears that it allowed the tracking weight to be adjusted between 3 and 10g. The hammered paint finish suggests it was largely made of steel, including the headshell, and I wonder if that is a step up transformer in the cylindrical object with the output terminals on top.

2 Likes

Mayware Formula IV arm (Thorens 160). Sold that on as well…

2 Likes