How it looks / not how it sounds

the lp12 copied it a bit…

Thanks and also for posting the photo of the 3-tier Dave stand which I’ve not seen before. Now I ‘get’ the Chord design.

Give credit where it’s due. The current Naim ‘Classic’ design still looks good after 16/17 years. Was it an in-house design? @Richard.Dane is there a story behind the design that you can share with us?

6 Likes

AIR TANGENT tangential arm. Perhaps the most famous. ( in 2002 ). image

There’s so much design scope for speakers, more so than other components. I came across this pic:

I guess a custom job.

I’ve always had a soft spot for horns, but they need to be huge to do bass…

2 Likes

i hope you won’t tell me that these speakers can accommodate a 20m2 room? :smile_cat::grinning:

1 million dollars kharma speakers. You must add the price of the church and electronics…

1 Like

In the late 70’s / 80’s I owned and loved this JVC integrated amp. With it’s graphic equaliser and meters it looked ‘the beast’:

I must check if I still have it on the Attica day give it a play!

Richard

4 Likes

Credit for the industrial design of the current kit should go to Simon Matthews (who I should add, also just happens to be a big music lover, and Steely Dan fan). There was a Connection article all about Simon not that long ago, which you can read here;

https://www.naimaudio.com/connection-magazine/18481/sound-designs

3 Likes

I do remember this model when it was released. The design was significantly different from the contemporary offerings from Sony, Pioneer and Sansui but still had that unmistakable Japanese tech-based aesthetic. An important era for Japanese design which extended into home consumer goods, cars etc.

I don’t know why no one has mentioned the Statements by Naim. Should win awards by its looks alone.
As far as mega £££ pre powers with their own power supplies go, it seems quite compact. I can almost imagine having a set tucked into the corner of my living room - without the nagging thought of wishing I should buy a massive house with massive rooms to truly accommodate them.

8 Likes

My classics sets. Still awsome

5 Likes

i like the speakers. Which brand ?

A lovely set. Those KEF LS50s look like they were designed to match with the Quads.

1 Like

some nice turntables:

Pluto 10 a

origine live voyager

vyger atlantis

avid acutus so

2 Likes

Classy… Not

I was just looking thru more of these pics and realized the nagra pre-amp and amp(?) mounted on a rack with the dave rack next to it and burmester tt would make a pretty awesome looking system.:grin:

1 Like

One can only wonder where the mains cable enters…

2 Likes

Chord stuff always reminds me of those somewhat limited robots which appear every Christmas. A retro idea of futuristic. I could never get past it.

yep… actually… look several posts up :slight_smile:

1 Like