How it looks / not how it sounds

…[quote=“benjy, post:159, topic:925, full:true”]
I was just looking thru more of these pics and realized the nagra pre-amp and amp(?) mounted on a rack with the dave rack next to it and burmester tt would make a pretty awesome looking system.:grin:
[/quote]

something between these 2 systems ?

1 Like

Was thinking of a system of (visually only) -

Nagra hd pre-amp
Nagra amp
chord cd and dave on rack
Kronos Sparta 0.5 turntable
It would consist of three “footed” columns next to each other - despite the different finishes and sizes, I think it would all go together

Stanley Kubrick 2001- the monolithic thing.:grinning:

They are KEF LS 50 speakers.And sorry to say, soundwise they do not match with the QUAD s at all. Mainly due to the sound caracteristics of the QUAD. Which is neutral and therefore sounding Dul and uninvolving to me.When I connected these speakers to the Naim set. Wow…They really are magical and really started to sing.Could not wish for more.

1 Like

Not according to the thread’s title…

You forgot two more options: make the object look more than it is, and guarantee some more money to manufacturer and dealer.

This is what I’d have if I could. The rest is making cakes with mud, in my opinion.

5 Likes

why? you are the first to tell that…

To be fair, all companies seek to generate increased revenue through sales, although it’s not guaranteed. As for your first point, perhaps …but personally I like the diminutive size of a standalone Chord DAC. The trouble is when you have several pieces of Chord kit, such as the DAVE/BLU/Etude combination, then some form of stand becomes necessary and Chord’s solution is as good as any’s.

better in black ?

1 Like

FR, thanks for posting the photo. Therein lies Chord’s dilemma. A lot of effort is spent designing something compact and attractive, but the unruly mess of cables then becomes more noticeable and compromises the design ‘vision’. Maybe enough said, otherwise this thread is in danger of becoming a critique of Chord and its designs.

the latest photo was a bit special. The cables can be hidden i feel.

not so bad looking…

chord dave/ blue/ etude pre

3 Likes

I’ve always liked the current accuphase amps. Nice big meters, no blue-light special like Mcintosh. In fact surprised no one has mentioned them.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Those lovely Japanese receivers looked wonderful.

[quote=“Ian2001, post:179, topic:925, full:true”]

Always thought the early Primare stuff was the coolest looking hifi ever.

Hans

8 Likes

Also this Quad package looks neat.

Especially with the Braun version of the Quad ELS 57. The Braun electronics designed by Dieter Rahms in the 60s would also be on top of my list.

Hans

14 Likes

A Linn LP12 wins both for looks and sound. Especially in a Woodsong plinth. It looks like a turntable and fits in a home which I would say about some of the ‘oil rig imitations’ produced by other brands.

Hans

12 Likes

and I sold my Primare 928s a few years back - how daft was that!