How Loud Do You Listen in a Typical Listening Session?

I calibrated the Android app to my REW/Umik :slightly_smiling_face:
It was miles out!

1 Like

Would be interesting to make a note of whatā€™s played during a daytime session compared to a late night listening session :star_struck:

Did you refer to the info in the other thread about different apps?

However IIRC A-weighting is the normal convention when talking about loudness of music at venues, and noise nuisance etc, so I think it is the appropriate weighting for the purpose of the thread question. The most important thing for the figures to be meaningful is for wpeveryone to be consistent.

I use the NIOSH app from the US CDC. I donā€™t expect itā€™s the most accurate thing in the world, but itā€™s what I got. I can begin to enjoy the music at about 55-60db. If Iā€™m really throwing down with an empty house, Iā€™ll be about 80-90db. Iā€™m a lifelong electric guitarist and have played in bands for decades. Iā€™ve experienced plenty of loudness in my life. I always wear my custom mold earplugs with swappable filters. I get my hearing tested every few years and so far I"m far above average for my age group - always have been. If you have good ears PROTECT THEM!

I have a good idea about how much is too much for my ears. Sometimes Iā€™ll willingly go at ā€œtoo muchā€ levels for a while, but then Iā€™ll bring it down. Itā€™s not worth to me to sustain too much volume. I know Iā€™ll be sorry later as Iā€™ve experienced temporary tinnitus many times over the years. I have 2 areas of exposure: playing live music and playing recorded music. So protecting my hearing is never far from my mind.

1 Like

Yes. I downloaded db Meter

Wouldnā€™t it be nice if the Naim app had a 1 to 100 scale for volume. That way it would be too easy.

It canā€™t with system automation because the pres are not capable of sending the current pot position back to the streamer. With Uniti it does.

Anyway this would not make numerical levels fully comparable between rooms

Not sure what difference it makes what numerical range is assigned, 0-100, 0-10, 7-34 or whatever? What matters in terms of control is how small a change you can easily make. Or did you mean calibrated in dB? The trouble with that is a preamp could only give a range in terms of the relative degree of amplification or attenuation, and not the level you hear, unless it is individually calibrated for your sourceā€™s/sourcesā€™ output level, your specific power amp, speaker sensitivity, and room (in particular the distance from speakers to listening position).

1 Like

Me too, and almost identical readings for my most of the day listening sessions.

I will attempt to post pictures of the 3 different apps I use to play music in my house; (1) Lumin (2) Sonos (3) Naim. On Lumin and Sonos there is a number associated with the volume, on Naim there is just + or -, itā€™s up or down. I just want a corresponding number. Maybe itā€™s just me, I think it comes in handy.

But to answer the question on this thread, using my decibel app I listen at 65-75 most of the time.

1 Like

I think each song has a specific optimal volumeā€¦
How loud I play a song definitely depends on what Iā€™m listening tooā€¦

2 Likes

Fair enough! I canā€™t see the value as I set level according to the loudness of the recording (which is not a constant between albums) and how I feel, but at the same time there is nothing negative about a value so maybe if requested of Naim they may consider adding the feature.

1 Like

Canā€™t imagine that it is. Itā€™s a watch! :wink:

1 Like

:face_with_hand_over_mouth: damn predictive text!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.