How loud is loud?

Just downloaded and tried iNVH - and it reads about 9dB lower than Decibel X. And iNVH’s readings are not believable - it says the room I went in to try, only 16dB(A) which is incredibly quiet, yet I could hear my wife’s Facetime conversation in the adjoining room. Decibel-X said 25dB, which fits much better with published data about typical sound levels.

1 Like

I once took my set-up to a farm for the weekend, no-one else in for the duration, no neighbours for a long way in all directions and a motorway in the way on the village side. That demonstrated just how good Naim gear can be given space to breathe.

Wife & son once walked into our house and said they could hear it at the bottom of the road, which was the signal to curtail things a bit. They also occasionally come in and don’t announce themselves for a while - 30 minutes is their PB so far. I have no idea that anyone else is in the house if there wasn’t and the stereo is being exercised.

For me it depends on source.

TV - anywhere between 8 and 10 O’clock on the volume dial. Depends on type of programme/film being watched.

CDP - rarely above 9.

TT - rarely above 10.

Difference between CDP and TT is input strength. Listening volume is equal(ish) at those positions on the volume dial. Generally, we listen at quieter volume levels. Our hearing is grossly intact for our age, and we’d like to keep it that way.

Windows are always closed when music is on so we don’t disturb any neighbours. Neighbours have been asked to let us know if our music is too loud for them. No complaints in over a decade.

House is solid construction 1930’s detached building.

So how loud is loud? It’s whatever you say it is for you in your situation, with your system, without impinging on other people’s lives.

Average of 75dB …is about right for me…max blast level would be 82dB…occasionally.

Yep, I just tried Decibel X too. My findings are the same, it does read 8/9 dB higher than iNVH. Not sure which one is closer to the truth but I’m willing to believe it’s dBX. Nice app too. The annual subscription of 30+ euro is a bit stiff though. :flushed:

5 Likes

Always a subjective subject despite decent sound level meter apps out there. In my study, where I have ceiling speakers fed by a Unitiqute my preferred sound level is on average 56 dBA, switching to my evening room the average is 70 dBA with the same classical music. The latter is a little too loud for most listening which is via a TV or NDS with 135s and active speakers.

In the past I’ve tended to use a timed measurement for assessing impact of noise from domestic premises. Unless the law has changed in the U.K. noise nuisance is a subjective assessment backed up with technical readings with comparisons with surrounding / ambient sound levels. Frequency analysis is also useful, especially if dealing with specific music types, such as reggae parties late at night. On one occasion I was on noise patrol late at night when we were called to a premises where you could feel the low vibration been transmitted through the concrete walls … the gentlemen involved apologised and turned the music down.

I just use Decibel X as it comes, free, not subscribing. When I did my comparison of a range of iPhone apps a few years ago, there were three that read about the same and gave readings consistent with published example tables, consistent with the declared clipping level of my amp and declared sensitivity of speakers. Good enough for this sort of purpose I think, though it would be interesting to calibrate it. I think people using iNVH should add 9 dB to whatever it gives for average sound level to get a better idea of the probable real sound level.

1 Like

Between 80-90dB for me. The more I am enjoying an album the greater the volume.

I know that one of course. But you are aware that it doesn’t give you an output in dB. And that’s why Nigel is funny!

That’s the kind of level at which I am playing electric guitar. Somehow, it is less fatiguing than 65dB mean levels on my system. It puzzles me. And I have a very good system (ND555, NAC552, NAP300, ProAc K6) which puzzles me a bit.

The clue ssurely is in the fact that you are playing…
But a music system being fatiguing at that 65dB (presumably average level, and not measured with the iNDH app) is indeed puzzling, and begs a variety of questions: Is your room excessively lively, especially with lots of early reflections? Are your speakers right for you, they having the greatest influence of any hifi component on the sound you hear? Are you playing good music? ….

Just out of interest I used a decibels app on my iPhone to see what’s coming out of the leaf sucker we have been using so much lately.
106db on average - good job we also have some pro ear protectors.

1 Like

The apps aren’t very accurate and it is easy to understand why. Unknown hardware on thousands of devices compare to an actual sound pressure meter which is factory calibrated. And even then, if you want to calibrate one yourself, an SPL calibration tone generator costs over $500.

I use a proper meter and the readings are nothing like what I get from a phone app.

1 Like

If SWMBO tries to say something to me from downstairs, and I’m upstairs playing the system and can’t hear what she said, well then, that’s too loud. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Just made a reading of the Steven Wilson album I’m listening to ‘Grace For Drowning’
80 - 90 dB gives the ooph you need to experience the dynamics :grinning:

I’d struggle to hear with music playing at any level - but maybe it depends on the house and SWMBO’s voice….

If I’m playing at moderate level I can’t hear anyone speak unless they come into the room, or call loudly from just outside. If I’m playing loudly I can hardly hear anyone speaking to me from more than a couple of feet away! Depending of course on whether the music level is fairly constant, or varied - but that doesn’t of itself define too loud other than to the person trying to interrupt my enjoyment!

Interesting thread this.

I decided to test the db levels in various rooms. Main listening room is large open plan living/dining and L shape in to kitchen. I sit 3.2 M away from speakers which are just 2 M apart centre to centre.

Study is 3.2 M square and I sit 2.4M away, speakers are again 2 M apart centre to centre.

Main room at 64 db is a little loud but when Mrs Bruss speaks I don’t need to turn anything down to hear her.
Study is too loud for comfort at 62db and I need to turn the sound down to hear or certainly to concentrate on what Mrs Bruss is saying.

The room obviously makes a significant difference to my perception of loudness.

1 Like

Good music? I guess so. At least it pleases me and varied from classical to jazz and rock. Classical and jazz are more relaxing. The quality of the recording sure plays a role.

My room is quite large (40 sqm) with a part that has a 6m high ceiling. So it is possible that the room has an influence.

What kind of device do you use for dB measurements?