How many carbon offsets do I need to buy to cover running my Naim 24/7?

Sorry Sloop. I have no data to contribute on this. One for Naim perhaps?.

The fact you are referring to carbon credits as something serious makes me think you are not serious.

Well Iā€™m not serious about actually buying carbon credits, thatā€™s just me trying to have a click bait title.

I am serious about finding out how much the 2 humming toroidal transformers in my living room are affecting my carbon footprint however.

.sjb

Of course listening with the wick up for several albums a day will need a new forest.

1 Like

Donā€™t forget that things are more likely to develop a fault on power cycle. And the probability multiples with each box. So if you have a 6 box system and turn it off every day and say each component has a 1/100 chance of developing a fault ever 365 power cycles, that gives you a 6/100 chance per year. Owned over 5 average of years 30% chance something will need fixing/replacing.

Depending on where you live, that one box could incur long transport back to Naim and back or the manufacture and production of a new replacement product.

In which case, all your carbon savings are blown out of the water. The energy spent in the generated shipping and manufacture far outweigh the power saving - even over several years.

Iā€™m not saying to not engage in energy efficiency. But power off when not in use = environmentally friendly is simplistic and not always true. You always need to try and guess the real cost per item.

I do my bit by flying abroad as often as I canā€¦
This helps to fill planes and hence improve their efficiency!!
Donā€™t thank meā€¦Iā€™m quietly saving the planet

3 Likes

Do you also carry a bomb on board with you, as the likelihood of there being 2 on one plane is very small?

Now your being silly !!

Hard to know if youā€™re highlighting the aspect of the complexity of attempting to be more environmentally aware or just doing the Boris.

I suppose the fact that Naim products made 40 years ago are still being used and reused is a huge positive as so much of other hifi has probably hit landfill.

I was proudly telling my daughter the other day that I bought the Spanish raspberries and Dutch strawberries but declined the blueberries from Chile only to be informed that the strawberries would be from greenhouses which guzzle energy so the Chilean blueberries may well have been the better option. Local and seasonal will be my new mantra.

.sjb

I have followed your thread SJB with much interest and yes, of course it is a serious point to consider. My own view is that feeling_zen has hit on a key issue in that the resilience of Naim products depends, to some degree, on not being repeatedly switched on. So yes, keeping them on saves the energy required in all aspects of a repair which might otherwise be avoided.

The energy used in the initial manufacture of the product, known as the embodied energy, is likely to be proportionally high, hence the longevity of life, as typically happens for Naim, is key in considering their total lifetime energy consumption even though they are recommended to be left powered up. That is, the energy-per-year will likely be lower than lesser repeatedly replaced products.

Finally, I also consider how many evenings we stay home and enjoy our music experience rather than going out (invariably involving driving) for example to the cinema or theatre etc. So, for us a little ā€˜extraā€™ power used on keeping the Naim powered still leaves our consciences clear.

Phew!

1 Like

Iā€™m not suggesting Iā€™m suddenly going to start turning off my Naim amps but I suppose Iā€™m trying to work to the maxim, ā€œat first do no harmā€, so if I can quantify my use of Naim amps environmentally I can then decide to ā€œoffsetā€ that by making another choice which cancels it out.

It will however impact on my choice if I (ever) replace them.

I also have to grapple with my NAS on 24/7 and also my NUC hosting Roon. I do have a second NAS whose sole purpose was to backup the first NAS automatically, so Iā€™ve switched that off and will do the backup manually.

.sjb

Indeed, and I didnā€™t think for one minute that that is what you intended to do. I do understand your attempts at quantifying coonsumption to facilitate some form of offset, which is to be commended. I guess I was simply purging my own conscience on these things as much as anything else.

Steve

1 Like

I was never convinced by the idea that you can offset your carbon emissions to justify anything. This usually means some notional invstment in tree planting which may or may not usefully take place in the context of net deforestation that started many centuries ago, and which is continuing at a very rapid rate. Despite Camphuwā€™s valiant efforts, it seems like kiddology to me.

And youā€™re entitled to your opinion clearly.

For me, Iā€™m finding it increasingly difficult to say F%Ck the planet once my music sounds goodā€¦that it should be government doing something and sure what about China etc. etcā€¦

So in my own little way Iā€™m trying to see what I can ā€œgive upā€ to negate the environmental impact of Naim amplification. Perhaps itā€™s my Catholic upbringing :slight_smile:

.sjb

1 Like

Remember there is also a difference between energy efficiency and energy conservation.

• Energy Efficiency = The same output for less energy input.
  • Energy Conservation = Less output due to less energy input.

In general, I always go for efficiency. Conservation is best used when the reduced output is in itself wasted (leaving lights on when not in the room). But even that depends. Ultimately you have to do what you feel is right. Whatever you choose, there will be someone berating you telling you it is wrong. Which considering how complex the environmental impact chain is for the lifecycle of any product, always gets me a bit.

Personally I think that if each household does what it can, it makes a huge difference. You donā€™t all have to do the same things. I might leave my hifi and computers on 24/7. But I manage to save energy elsewhere and we donā€™t have a car, use geothermal for some of the lighting and heating circuits etc. Another household might get savings differently. The notion that everyone should be saving energy on the same things in the same way is a bit fascist.

1 Like

Most NASā€™s allow you to power on to a schedule. I do that with my 2, they come on automatically for a short time each day to allow the rsync job to run and backup my files.

Iā€™m not sure the benefits of powering hard drives off and on isnā€™t offset by the incurred higher failure rate and associated costs.

Itā€™s interesting because last night, purely for curiosity, I decided to measure the power for my pre and power amp; non-NAIM Iā€™m afraid but I think the results are of general interest,

pre-
standby, 16.3W
on, 17.1W
playing (listening level), 17.1W

power-
standby, 2.5W
on, 43W
playing (listening level), 55W

Of particular interest was the pre-amp Wattsā€¦ it looks to me like itā€™s on all the time even when ā€˜inā€™ standby. It probably just turns of the output when in standby.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.