How many defective 552 units is Naim going to send me?

Except BMW still own Rolls Royce @bailyhill

Are you sure you don’t mean when BMW divested themselves of MG Rover perhaps?

Ah yes, you are correct, should have written, "BMW divested themselves from Range Rover—perhaps the proper name is MG Rover in UK. In the US, we know them only as Range Rover.

Rolls Royce is rarely seen in the US also. Can’t remember the last time I saw one here. I used to commute on the Boston Beltway–ie RT 128 back in the day with my 1967 911S Porsche, and I would rarely have anyone pass me. One exception was An Wang, of Wang Computers, who would come up behind me in his Roller and I would yield the high speed lane to him.

1 Like

Bmw have many very well catalogued engine problems over the years - ranging from nikasil coating problems in cylinder bores (or was nikasil the solution? Can’t remember - but there was excessive wear I think), swirl flaps that got swallowed by the engine (happened to my bro’s car), the v10 M5 that is known to be catastrophically unreliable, lots of 2.0d problems and I had a 2003 525d e39 touring which blew a turbo just a month outside warranty and the goodwill payment was 20% parts only and no labour contribution. To be fair the other BMWs I have had over the years have been pretty good (though the i3 needed a fair bit of warranty work)

1 Like

For goodness sake, @AhTiong finally gets this thread back on track but then the rest of you start banging on about cars again!

Start a new thread in the Padded Cell if all you want to talk about is BMWs!

15 Likes

Yeah sorry…point taken…zip

1 Like

I have a new BMW 535i Touring but to be honest do you know the car I delight in driving the most - yes, the current Ford Fiesta 1.0 Titanium. Only 3 cylinders too! Holds the road well and is nicely screwed together.

I give up!

12 Likes

It’s a BMW thing Nigel. We just go where we like, no indication. Suddenly there we are.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

That made me chuckle - you must be one of the best at taking threads off topic!

1 Like

Yep, We have an X5 and an X3. The X3 has a 2.0L diesel engine and reliably blows the turbo-charger every 67k miles. £1,500 a shot to keep replacing !

But I would hope I go off topic on occasion with something more amusing than BMWs, or when threads lose their impetus (e.g. the 272 replacement thread).

But we digress!

Wow, really! Please tell us more!

2 Likes

As the OP is now sorted, it’s probably best for this to go into the Padded Cell so you can talk BMWs etc…

2 Likes

So we now have 2 BMW threads.

Should keep the petrolheads happy.

4 Likes

Looks like we are going to get a bit of rain here today.

1 Like

We had a family day out at Lepe. All hand-me-downs. Mum --> Daughter No.1 --> Daughter No.3 (No.2 lives in Canada)

So when the Golf drops out, No 3 will get No 1’s car etc

1 Like

Yipee…we’re in the Padded Cell, anything goes!

Where is Lepe?

I had a X3 like that once, made in Brazil, piece of cr*p!

Nigel, I had a Mercedes ML out on demo not long after they were released made in the USA what a pile of SH!! surprised it stayed together on the trip over.

MLs really are the pits. BMW and Mercedes generally make good cars, but some models are rubbish. I have owned 3 and 5 series years ago and they were very good, although the old 2 litre petrol engines were veery sluggish.

I am not sure, am I off or on topic?

The X3 is pretty good despite the turbocharger issue ! I think it was made in Hungary, but I would have to check.

Lepe is on the Solent, opposite Cowes and about 5 miles west of Calshot.

I’ve lost track of which thread I’m in now … cars, hifi, holidays …