How many defective 552 units is Naim going to send me?

In short, not designed to deal with credible faults.

I can see you from the other side.

4 Likes

We can see Le Géant from our garden .

4 Likes

I will only choose Japanese car

An earthquake.

Seems like the quality drops down a lot? My local retailer told me once a lot of employees left Naim around 2011. Don’t know it’s true or not. Read through the replies and it drives me change to Accuphase in the future.

Your former CDS3 arrived in Germany safely before. It’s now on the way back from service

Not quite. It was a failure to plan and engineer the plant properly

2 Likes

Try a German car sometime… it’s quite a different experience…

Yep.

7 Likes

For driving experience German car is good, but generally the reliability is not so good

But the earthquake and subsequent site flooding was credible. It was recognised as such and a design incorporating a number of lines of defence/protection were lacking.
The initiating event is not the issue. Being able to shutdown, stay shutdown and keep the fuel cool was the issue.

2 Likes

That’s not my experience at all. My bmw has proven to be very reliable

That brings back memories - convoys of Trabants billowing clouds of blue 2 stroke oil, crossing from East to West Germany after the wall came down.

1 Like

Can’t reveal where I got this but it was super reliable … Land Rover were building a new plant in Europe…(I think Poland…I can’t remember this bit) anyway Land Rover recently employed a top BMW executive to oversee the new factory … the new plans were based on a UK production process. When the plans were presented he noticed a grey area… in the center…vat is diss… the reply was the correction unit… at which point he hit the roof…and stated that zero defects would be achieved…and the correction area was to be removed. The same manager also told me he would never buy a Range Rover…he actually witnessed body panels being corrected with what he called mallets at the factory. He also told me allot of cars could not be corrected…and were parked outside…these were then fixed later…a study showed an enormous amount of time was being wasted …just trying to just find the cars…

2 Likes

Many years ago, the VW Golf was described to me as ‘the cheapest hand-built car’ on sale post one of the model updates, as there were so many issues which had to be corrected at the end of the line - and that comment emanated from a large UK VW main dealer, as their feedback sheets were full of further issues.

…we seem to be some way from a broken 552?!

Come to Berlin and you can still rent one :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have driven several of them, all with the original 2 stoke engines. Not sure I would pay to do it again😂

1 Like

Oh yeah they still potter about Berlin with the two-strokes, but nearly exclusively as tourist attractions of course, and the occasional hipster

2 Likes

I like cars & therefore chose the one that fitted my requirements & pocket at the time, 1992.

It happened to be a 3 Series BMW & 28 years later I am on my 5th 3 Series & none have ever let me down. The one before my current car covered 150,000 miles with no problems & just 2 major services.

It was far better to actually drive than all the alternatives I tried at the time. I was drawn to try a BMW by good review after good review in the motoring press. This was exactly the same way as I was attracted to Naim in 1986. I have never been disappointed by either brand.

Had I chosen a Japanese car back in 1992 then I would probably be driving one now.