How Many Pairs of Surplus Speakers Do You Own

I have a very old pair of blue room minipods which will never be used. I must get around to baying them, tho I doubt they’ll fetch enough to make it worthwhile tbh.

1 Like

Bear in mind PMC’s domestic speakers don’t measure like their studio monitors in an effort to achieve this.

They are attempting to voice home and studio speakers the same by compensating (colouring) the home offerings for a living room. I’m on my third pair of PMCs and they definitely lean on the hot side in a room without lots of soft furnishing and carpet.

So what they are saying is true, but that doesn’t mean they are designed the same way with respects to colouration. They are designed, however, to [hopefully] get to the same result when in a real world listening environment.

Worth noting, claims of total neutrality and flat response are just in about every manufacturer’s marketing vocabulary. Sometines you have to just appeal to what mass public audiophiles want you to say.

1 Like

Whilst the lower models are clearly all different in their own rights, are you sure that is the case with the models that have direct domestic and studio counterparts (IB, MB, BB, and XBD variants)? My understanding was that they are the same speakers internally, with same crossovers, but clad very differently, and the SE domestic series with fancy stands instead of those used in a studio (or soffit mounted in a studio).

I wasn’t specifically thinking of them no.

But, in an earlier post I mentioned about the colouration for a price point where after a certain level, buyers are far more likely to have treated rooms.

I’d also expect those veneered monitors to be identical to their pro versions.

Anyway, it’s an interesting branch topic. Bottom line is I love different speakers in different rooms. And I might even overlook shortcomings of a system that isn’t in the main room if it has other charms that suit the music played there. I might play everything in the living room. But only certain things in the kitchen. And that opens up possibilities I might not consider otherwise.

I can’t cast a vote in your poll because my answer has to be zero.

It’s rare that I change speakers, and when I do it’s to upgrade what I have, in which case I sell the replaced speaker on to someone else to enjoy. That last happened when I upgraded My Dynaudio Contour S3.4 to the Confidence C2 Platinum I have now. Those Contours got sold within a month of me taking delivery of the C2s.

I have a pair of RELR-328 subs in my main system. In a couple/few months I am getting a new pair of REL S/510 subs to replace them. The old ones will be moved on as quickly as I can sell them.

1 Like

Apologies folks, I can’t make any changes to the vote options after creating the poll. The initial idea is to ascertain how many people actually own more than a pair of (unused) speakers so there is no “0” in the list.

Anyway, I noticed that you guys own some fairly large (and serious) floorstanders. PMC MB2, PMC MB2 SE and Dynaudio Confidence C2. My smallish room can’t accommodate any of these speakers, and if I own these speakers chances are I wouldn’t consider any other alternatives. It would not be practical to swap the speakers as they are huge and heavy especially when the speakers take up a lot of space. With small to medium sized standmounts, it would be a lot easier.

The poll question was clear. I selected 2 and that is unused pairs of speakers I have tucked away.

1 Like

The question is clear, but I cannot give an answer, as there is no ‘None’ available to tick.

To repeat, I have three pairs of speakers, but each is in use in my system.

The size really has nothing to do with it for me. I didn’t keep spares when I used smaller standmounts either. The predessors to my previous Contour S3.4 were Contour S1.4 on stands. The predessors to those were sold ASAP, rinse and repeat. Big or small, I just never keep speakers I no longer use. I really have no reason to.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.