How much did your parents influence your musical taste?

Frank, Bing, Rosemary Clooney and anything on two way family favourites was my staple, plus Johny Cash that my mum loved. It didn’t do me any harm, but as a teenager I was ready for the new blues from John Mayall, Rolling Stones, and their influencers, Muddy Waters etc. Them and the singer songwriters of the late 60’s and onwards were the main influence for later life, Joni, Dylan, James Taylor etc. Jazz came about 10 years later after discovering seedy pubs and the big smoke.

2 Likes

Zero…my musical taste grows on my own.

1 Like

My Dad was quite into western movie themes and I can remember at the age of 10 or 12 listening to Morriocone and Hugo Montenegro a lot on his ESL57’s and really liking the sound, naturally that gradually gave way to Black Sabbath! Those poor 57’s got a lot of abuse.

2 Likes

They didn’t my brother did as he played in bands all the way through the late 50’s to the mid 70’s. He made a bundle of records and I used to set up his drum kit during his live shows in the late 60’s/70’s (and also play it). He introduced me to blues, soul, rock, skiffle jazz and country. Everything I have in musical taste today is because of him.

4 Likes

Zero

1 Like

I think ( the answer) Will depend of the generation.
In my case a lot: my father liked the progressive rock/ and hard rock ( beginings of heavy metal)

So i’ve grown listening pink floyd, led zepellin, deep purple, hendrix experience, rolling stones…

I’ve got lucky, i guess … :wink:

1 Like

I didn’t think so at the time, but Radio 2 was always on on Sundays, playing lots of old 50/60’s tracks that I found boring at the time, but now I listen to them. My Mum had albums from Deep Purple and Bread, so was probably quite cool.

Strangely enough, I was out with her a couple of years ago, and said can I just pop into HMV to but “Best Of Bread” album. She laughed, and told me a story about how her Mum brought that album for her years ago, so she brought my CD for me. Lets see how many generations I can keep this going for.

1 Like

I have stolen this when I left my parents home … what more to say

3 Likes

Zero.
Don’t remember my dad listening to music at all.
My Mum liked easy listening stuff. Val Doonican that kind of thing.
She also like Elvis but not the rock n roll kind but stuff like Marie’s the name of his latest flame. She also liked Mario Lanza.
I found my own path starting with singles heard on my transistor which soon discovered glam rock. Sweet, Glitter etc.
Then Roxy,Bowie.
Bowie lead to Velvets,Lou Reed etc
Then came punk and whoosh I was off.
Lately I’m discovering Jazz!

1 Like

My parents were exclusively Radio 3 and 4 listeners and rarely actually bought any music. Dad did inherit a Beomaster 3000 from my grandfather (mum’s dad) which he had for many years. They were also regular visitors to Symphony Hall, Birmingham (at least once a week) and they took me along on occasion. Whilst I do like a smattering of classical music my musical tastes lie mostly elsewhere.

My father was really into his music and hifi. He had pretty much all of the Rolling Stones 45’s so me and my brother used to play those a lot. He also loved Moody Blues, ELP, anything with Stephen Stills in it, the Quo, Steve Miller and, er, Slim Whitman. He also bought me my first Sabbath album. When he changed his hifi I inherited his Rotel receiver for my bedroom

2 Likes

Before I reached the age of ten, my parents had very few records and their musical taste was diverse pre 60’s stuff, so whilst I did listen to it, it didn’t affect me as much as my uncle who I discovered during visits to his place hand a big collection of records which I loved to listen to. I have since figured out that they mostly came from 1959, he may have had a burst of enthusiasm to buy music that year, a fair few of which were 78 rpm ‘singles’ who knew! or maybe he was the recipient of the contents of 45’s from a few juke boxes? Either way, and as a direct result of these visits I love the music from this period predating my birth.

Whilst this is all now accessible via music streaming, I wish the recordings were more hifi

Another zero from me. My dad had no interest in music and my mum liked Judy Garland and Julie Andrews - The Sound of Music, both artisits played on a seldom used radiogram. In late 1969 a mate played me Led Zep II and that was the start of my musical interest - not looked back since!!

2 Likes

Same here. Plus Randy Newman. The rest I rejected. (Joan Baez, John Denver, A number of French singers)

Not my parents, although the did have The Beatles red and blue compilation albums which I played over and over but my mothers younger brothers (my uncles) had a massive influence over my musical taste and interest in Hifi.

They had a big collection of 60’s and 70’s rock which I used to listen to on their Sony turntable/amp/speakers for hours and hours on end as a child. Years later it was one of my uncles that first introduced me to Naim when he asked me to go with him to a demo. The Naim stuff was head and shoulders more musical than anything we listened to that day and we both have Naim systems to this day.

2 Likes

My mother didn’t really listen to music other than in that there was nearly always a radio on in the house, my father was fanatical about his Jazz, which I hated but he did pass over his love of music to me I suppose. To this day I still find some Jazz grates my nerves, especially the big band type thing. I think my grandmother (or nain as we call them in Wales) had a bigger affect on me as she always had music on and gave me my first record player along with a stack of rock & roll, skiffle and early 60s singles

My birth parents had, and still have, at best a small interest in music. Mum likes all sorts of stuff when it’s presented to her, but doesn’t seek it out or listen to music by choice. Dad went through a brief classical phase when he was a mature medical student in the early 70s - DG Karajan vinyl, when he could afford it. He periodically went through phases of listening to music in later years (including buying a CD system from Sound Org in York), but it was never more than a fleeting interest.

I’ve loved music for as long as I can remember, so the relative dearth of music at home meant I was wide open to any influences from elsewhere. Mum’s second husband had a classic 70s system (Leak, Akai) and a huge collection of cassettes recorded from friends’ LPs so I dived into that and discovered all sorts from Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles to Jean-Michel Jarre, with Mike Harding and Hitchhiker’s Guide thrown in. By then, I was also following friend’s (teenage) tastes, singing in choirs and had found Radio 3, hence why my musical taste has been many things but never simple.

Mark

An interesting question, in my early years probably a lot, as we’re not even allowed to have ToTPs on TV… mind you that is probably a great service… but there was a whole load of popular and rock music shielded from me… popular music apparently started and stopped mostly with the Beatles.

As I grew older post 10 my curiosity gained, but my palette was thin… though tuning in through and I slowly started gaining my musical independence.
I remember hearing God Save The Queen by the Sex Pistols round at a friend’s house playing on their bedroom system, and I was hooked… it felt alive and naughty !
Though listening to new styles was difficult unless you had the singles… which was easier said than done unless you knew what you were looking for.
Although I lived in the Chilterns, on a Friday evening if you were upstairs and you put into mono you could get London’s Capital Radio… that was then brilliant (might still be I don’t know) and played new styles such as Electro and Hip Hop all seemingly new in from New York, as well the growing Jazz Funk and synth bands followings in the UK in the early 80s… that really helped to expand my horizons.
In the pre streaming, MTV and Youtube eras, good radio was essential for those getting into and discovering music…

2 Likes

For me it was t’other way round. One evening in the early 70s I had to return home to retrieve my wallet having got in the pub with an empty pocket. I walked through the door to the sound of Set the Controls blasting out. My dad had just worked his way through the first side of Ummagumma and had settled into side two. I was never again told to “turn that rubbish down”.

1 Like

Zero. My mum said she wouldn’t mind going to a stones concert with me, no chance

1 Like