How much do you listen?

I just saw in my Roon app that I have listened 58h the last 4 weeks. That seems quite a lot but it had me thinking.

How much do you listen to your music?

1 Like

About 3 hours every night.

3-5 hours a day

I get up at 5am, turn the radio on, then about 9am start listening to music and continue until about 10pm when I go to bed and read a book for a bit.

2 Likes

13 hours a day? Pish. I start listening to Adele’s latest album in the morning at ten o’clock at night, half an hour before I go to bed, for 29 hours pausing only to flip the record.

6 Likes

I thought the album comes out in 2 weeks. You must be an early bird :slight_smile:

3-4 hours for me, though only 1 hour or so on my main system.

1 Like

For serious listening - doing nothing else - about 1 to 1.5 hours a day. But music is playing rather more than that.

I listen to BBC6 Music as background all day whilst working but serious listening depends upon my wife’s shift patterns; most days it is zero hours but on other days it can be 4 hours. I do not take this time for granted after being starved of it during the lockdowns with a full house.

Not enough. I need more time. !

4 Likes

I’m away a lot at the moment seeing my ageing mum, when at home I probably average 4-5 hours a day. The most common pattern is an album or 2 on getting up to start the day, then a few more in the afternoon or evening depending on what else I am doing. Some days none if I go out all day, other days 10+ hours if I have nothing else on and I get hooked.

It varies, but Roon tells me I’ve listened to 22 and a half hours over the last 4 weeks. When do I listen most? Well every day I go to sleep listening to music with the timer set to 45 minutes. Most mornings I listen to Radio 4 until the repetition gets me listening to music. If I’m working then music is on, but if I’m in the garden I listen to the birds / traffic.

But my main system gets a work out everyday of around 4 hours, but that’s for the TV. Apart from that the system that’s on most is the one in my study that plays radio and music.

About two and a bit hours per week: limited mainly by work shifts, also whether my lovely wife is home or out of town (then I can play the less…er, mainstream music. She and Ornette, for example, or Captain Beefheart, Sunn 0))) etc do not see eye to eye).

Headphones are a boon, but only late at night for short periods.

A recent two days off and wife away were an absolute treat!

3 Likes

For me listening time varies hugely depending what else I’m doing. Can be just a few hours in a week, or many. I thought that after retirement I’d have more time, but quite the reverse!, though in part due to some of the necessary immediate post-retirement things coinciding with my son needing work doing on a house he’s just bought.

I only have one music system (I’d rather one high quality one than multiple necessarily of lower quality), so music listening is limited to when I’m in that room.

2 Likes

background music on more or less all day while working - ironically while we’re in lockdonw mostly using some cheap airpod pro’s so 'er indoors and I can make calls/do zoom meetings etc without bothering each other - I generally only listen properly (doing nothing else) in the evenings once the kids are down for the night or the house is otherwise empty (which is basically never since we went into extended lockdown!).

Sounds like the very famous Four Yorkshire men sketch by the fabulous Monty Python team!

Before kids arrived: 2-4hrs a day
After kids arrived: 0-2hrs. None of it dedicated listening time. Rarely more than 5 uninterrupted minutes in a row.

Building new house with aim to remedy this. Architect has instructions from me that effectively say, “give me another open plan blueprint and you’ll be shot/fired”.

5 Likes

Serious listening on average a couple of hours a day, but very often have Radio P on in the background

1 Like

Yes, open plan is useless for families whose members have any incompatible activities in respect of sound (or light). An open plan family living / entertainment area can be great, but the house needs at least one separated area (and of adequate size), and if the kitchen area is actually used for its theoretical purpose (I gather many aren’t!) it needs near-silent kitchen mechanicals (cooker extractor, food processors etc, dishwasher etc)

8/10 h every days

When I was a toddler, our family lived for a couple years in the US where it is not uncommon to have two living rooms. One for adults and another for kids and chaos. The benefits of which must have been apparent because back in the UK, when I was about the age my eldest is now (still in playschool), we moved from a tiny cottage into town and I can assure you there was a second living room that kids were only allowed in on special occasions. Brilliant idea if you’ve got the space.