How much do you listen?

When I was a kid my parents’ house was like that - until as a teenager I purloined the “sitting room” for use as a music room, making use of it for the 99% of the time when we didn’t have visitors! But the living rooms were only about 12ft square, and kitchen was tiny!

My partner always tells me I never listen.

7 Likes

Originally from At Last The 1948 Show, and a similar one by I’m Sorry I’ll Read That Again - eventually by Monty Python, though I think not in any of the TV episodes (done on various Live things, and, I think, Secret Policeman’s Ball).

1 Like

Do you do other things while listening. Like reading a book.

1 Like

Oh cool, I wasn’t aware of the first two shows, I’ll see if they’re still available anywhere.

‘Binge listening’ for me. Not that much through the week then a load friday night thru the weekend. Nothing beats a Friday night session, glass of wine and some great tunes cranked up via Naim/Dyn … that’s what its all about :grinning:

1 Like

I use our second bedroom which i call the library room. Iam somtimes up till 1am listening
To the music i like.

In my case….not enough!

2 Likes

I simply cannot conceive of listening from dawn to dusk. Someone mentioned 10 hours per day…blimey.

I need time to let music ‘sink in’ after a couple of albums or so…go and do something else.

This is especially true of symphonies, operas etc and intense jazz but applies to other stuff.

To immediately put another album on after, say, Strange Days or A Love Supreme and another album after that would do my head in.

I guess I’m not cut out for background music.

I find the more time I spend on a single session, the more I get into the sound of my Hi-Fi and end up putting on what showcases its strengths.
Often with a brief session I can play something that can just be a little off and doesn’t engage as much - whether that’s my hearing more into it or just being that more in tune to what I am lucky to have available to play as source material, and forgetting I also have a load of other stuff.
I know I don’t particularly feel comfortable that my Hi-Fi somehow dictates what I listen to, but that could be the tragic reality.

I work while listening to music, depending on the week it could be a lot or a little.

I did not understand how to post a video directly here, so the link of The Rolling Stones with Boston Dynamics robots below.

https://youtu.be/XnZH4izf_rI

Sometimes I’ll sit and play six or eight albums in a session, other times just one or two - depends on mood (as well as available time).

I rarely play music as background - and never could when working as the music is too absorbing and I wouldn’t get on with work.

1 Like

@Brian1 yes I do, a bit of work, read books as you say, I build models so do a bit of that as well or just sit back and enjoy :slight_smile: thats what it is all about after all.

I almost never just listen. I’m actually often on this community while listening. Looking through the music section trying to find new music.

Before lockdown, maybe 2 hours/day.
Since lockdown and probably due to both of us working from home…next to nothing through the main system ATC40a speakers. But that does provide pretty good TV sound
Muso is on in the kitchen most of the day, but i can’t hear that in my office.
I’ve got a pair of genelec 8030 active nearfield monitors in my office they are pretty good but different. Also Chord Mojo into some Westone W60 in-ear provide a really nice listening experience

Making me think about what we actually need, but when I do get chance for a listening session I really enjoy the music.

I listen to music a lot, but still not enough… :man_shrugging:

i find if iam reading a book and i have music playing. i cannot concentrate especially
if it is a book on european history. but if iam on the computer i listen to music. or just
listen to the music especially jazz where i compare different tenor sax players.

i try to buy cds that are studio recordings that sound great on my Naim cd player.
live concerts sometimes sound terrible.

If I try to read a book, either the book absorbs me and the music just be ones background noise, or the music absorbs me, and I end up ignoring the book. Usually the latter, unless a very good book. It’s simple competition! So in practice, if I want to read I either don’t put music on, or (though quite rarely unless there is some unwanted background noise, I put music on, as background - but that is not listening to music.

When i play a track with 3 tenor sax players i have to concentrate which player is taking a solo.
Good example Al Cohn. Zoot Simms. They can sound alike. Must listen carefully.
Cohn has a deeper tone. How can i read at the same time.