How much does it cost to stream well

Thanks Peakman yes see where you’re coming from

At this stage my primary music source is top range LP12’s (2 of them) so that won’t be changing

Let’s see what the future holds though re digital

Cheers Bevo

I have quite a few stand alone DACs including; Chord Hugo, Matrix Audio Sabre Pro, Focal Arche, Teddy DAC, Cambridge DacMagic, Ifi MQA Dac etc.
The CDS player sounds better in my all Naim amplification system than streaming to any of the DACs.

What I will say, to throw a cat among the pigeons, is that my Sugden Masterclass CD player digital out into the Chord Hugo DAC sounds better than the CDS2.

Well yes, the Hugo did cause a bit of a stir when it first arrived, especially when people started selling their NDAC/555 because they preferred it. Personally I never really got on that well with mine, it was good, but it wasn’t that good.

Not necessarily IMO, a lot of quality vintage hifi stands up well to today’s kit. The sound may be somewhat “different “ but sometimes preferable.

Think of it a little bit like a 50’ s sports car, still gets you around but in a very involving way :grinning:

Hi
I started with the CXN, then Mac mini into Dac V1, had the same experience as you with the CXN. There was a slight improvement with the V1 (via Audirvana). Then went to ND5 xs (Gen 1) - again: improvement, tried an older, in need of service, XPS, too much Bass. Managed to swap the two for a late model NDX (v1) - that is what I remain with & am very happy (will be adding a power supply when funds allow).
As always: get a home demo, when it’s possible, to make sure what ever you invest in, gives you the desired sound :relaxed:

Ps: all the Naim kit was ‘preloved’, have an excellent dealer, & all my listening is via ripped CD’s/downloaded files.

Keep going rockingdoc - CD rules for me at this stage ( as second source ) unless a massive SQ ( and I mean massive) in streaming format , and I’m not seeing that by responses here

I get the convenience issue but I like the physical aspect of CD’s I feel connected

I think you’ve got a long way to go to optimize your streaming setup.

And it won’t come cheap.

Couple or so grand on a top notch DAC.
Couple of grand on some sort of up sampling/scaling device.
Couple of grand on some sort of digital reclocking device.
A grand or so on cables connecting up these devices.
A grand or so on upgrading power supplies for these devices.

Warning. To hear the full potential of these upgrades you may need to upgrade your amplification. (??? grand).

Once you’ve sorted all that out you’ll need to turn your attention to matters upstream of the streamer.

A grand or so on audiophile quality switch, nas and cabling.

Finally, the Cambridge CXN v2 will need upgrading. :grinning:

You’ll end up with a system that sounds superb when replaying some of your music and unlistenable when replaying some of your music. :running_man: :running_man: :running_man: :running_man: :running_man:

The two key aspects in streaming; the transport and DAC… Naim typically combine, some other manufacturers split… but ultimately that is it … think of it like the TT and phono preamp of streaming.
So keep the two aspects in sync quality wise, a poor transport is likely to hold the DAC back, and a poor DAC and a top end transport will waste the potential of the transport.

I have found if you decouple streaming transport from the DAC (ie keep them separate) you are less likely to be impacted by home environmental influences like home network components and Ethernet cables.

Main thing, keep it simple… it’s the current fad it appears to over tweak streaming setups… kind of like the era of different colour felt tips for CD edges… you can play there… and you may shift tonal presentation a smidgen, but unlikely to actually affect SQ…

3 Likes

The cost of streaming well can be expressed as a simple formula:

SW(t) = 1.378 x {SW(t-1) f } where:

SW = cost of streaming well
(t) = current time period
f = frequency of browsing this forum

At least that’s been my experience over the last few years.

Note: my maths may be slightly off – it’s been a while.

6 Likes

I went from cds2 to ndx2/xps. Thought overall sq same overall.
When I added 555ps to nxd2 felt this was overall better sq compared to cds2.
It’s obviously pricy but this move has given me access to so much more music and I find that I am enjoying my system more and spend more time listening and discovering a great variety of music.
David

1 Like

I wonder to what extent Naim customers buy a Naim streamer to stream their ripped CDs v simply playing from Tidal/Qobuz/Spotify? And then, to what extent the Naim streamers are built to focus on the former process and how that is represented in the price? The reason I ask is because I only really stream from Tidal (with a bit of Radio Paradise and Naim Radio) and don’t stream ripped files. TIDAL HiFi streams at 16-Bit / 44.1 kHz. Tidal Masters at 24-Bit / 192 kHz.

With that in mind, I’m in the process of getting a second system. I’m looking at an SN3 with suitable speakers (current favourites PMC 25.24 but that’s in another thread…) and of course need to pay due attention to source. If I can stream a digital signal into a decent DAC (Chord for example) I wonder how close in terms of sound quality this would get me to e.g. a Naim NX2?

In terms of technical specs, I know different DAC chips have different sound signatures and there will be differences in functionality. I don’t mind paying for the NDX2 if it is worth it and I am due to go listen to it with an SN3 in a couple of weeks’ time. I just can’t help wondering if I can get a 1-2 box alternative with same/almost same performance for quite a lot less cash bearing in mind my intended use (and yes I know I could look at a ND5 XS2 or NAC N272…). I think quite a few people go through this deliberation.

A few thoughts to connect to the SN3 (prices slightly higher than UK due to my location): either

a) a streamer with a digital output such as an Audioengine B-Fi to pick up the wifi (2.4 only) and connect to my phone to control Tidal, (maximum sample bit depth/sample rate for any playback via the B-Fi is 16-bit/44.1kHz) (cost GBP160) connected by optical digital audio Toslink to a good DAC.

b) Bluesound Node 2i (wifi 5, Native Sampling Rates 32 - 192 kHz, Bit Depths 16 - 24) (GBP500) connected by optical digital audio Toslink to a good DAC.

for the above two options, potential DACs would be Chord Hugo 2 (GBP2000) Chord 2Qute (GBP1300) or RME ADI-2 (GBP1000).

c) a Chord Mojo Poly. This does the wifi streaming and the DAC. But it is battery powered. (GBP900).

d) super cheap option…, phone (bypassing phone DAC) into Audioquest Cobalt into SN3 (GBP250).

e) Naim - either ND5XS2 (GBP3000) or NDX2 (GBP5,500).

I know the alternatives to Naim above may well be “inferior”. I’ve read the threads here about peoples’ various upgrade journeys. I won’t be able to demo the alternatives but I’m intrigued to know whether they could get close to Naim on sound for just the Tidal use case…

Repeat of my (?) from the “Is Naim DAC still a thing”: Phew. (My exasperation. So many letters.) So. I’m mulling what I want. Do I want a Nova or the ND5 XS3 with the Nait XS 3? Ah…or no. Ndac? If the Ndac improves the ND5 XS3, should I just suck it up and get the NDX 2? Or…stick with the Nova?

And now…more letters…PS555DR? Just shoot me…

When Naim had a separate DAC in their range it was promoted as a possible upgrade to the NDX. It was popular at the time, although some preferred the original Chord Hugo. Lots of potential options here. I do think Naim streamers made good digital transports into a separate DAC, although an ND5XS2 at under half the price of an NDX2 would do the same job.
As you already have a Naim streamer, it keeps things simple being able to control them both from the same app, and the multiroom thing works well too.

Well as for spending, £2k on dac, £2k on streamer, then more for switches, then more for power supplies and cables.
Far, far better to just go get a secondhand bartok, fantastic streamer built in, that will do everything you want, plus it gets upgraded for free when new stuff comes out, also fantastic dac that can also be upgraded for free, going forward, no sill switches needed or power supplies, just plug in a mains cable and ethernet cable and off you go.
Also you may find the built in pre amp is all you need, so sell your old preamp and go direct to amp, or active speakers, for a one box solution

As always with a how much does it cost question, it really does depend on what level of sound quality you are looking for and how deep are your pockets. I find the 2i plus Qutest is a match for my P8/Hanna/ PH10 combo with the 252. Not overly expensive. On the other hand if I were running a high end tt system I may be wanting more from the digital side.

For me an ND5XS2, MScaler with Qutest+MCRU. Okay cost wise comes in at around 6k but from a source point of view this is me done as I cannot see how I can improve upon this.

2 Likes

It depends, like everything else in hifi, in what you define as “well”. You can have effective streaming with a Chromecast audio into a DAC, or an amp with a built in DAC for not much money or you can spend tens of thousands of pounds on streamers, DACs, servers and cables. Depends how high a priority streaming is, how good the rest of the system is and how much sq you want.

1 Like

Fair point, which is why I set the sonic bar at the readily achievable CDS2 CD replay level, in an all Naim system.

This seems like a good way to reach the “pinnacle” (or close to). Unfortunately here it is not going to possible to just go get a secondhand Bartok. Now… back to my headache!

I suppose in the context of my post, the Naim NDX2 would be “well” (certainly sufficient for my needs and budget) but not sure about the OP. Hence the question if I could get close without necessarily spending as much as the NDX2 costs.