How Much Have You Invested In Popcorn

Update.
I bought a 500g bag of popping corn from Grapevine.
Country of origin Argentina
Sell by date 03/2024

Rapeseed oil from Waitrose 10ml in the pan

Cooker by Hotpoint (originally a Cannon design)
Natural gas from EDF
Used the small front burner

Pan 7 litre triple ply James Martin by Stellar

I waited until the neighbours were out, cats asleep.

Ambient temperature in kitchen 20.6 C

After 30 seconds, base temperature 104.6 C

Added 30g corn

Initial popping commenced at 3 minutes 11 seconds

Popping ended at 7 minutes 6 seconds

Pan temperature 109.6

Graph from my phone, background noise only

At 5 minutes after start, measurement paused at 5 minutes 30 seconds

As there was no one at home, I put a handful under the bird feeders.

Robin ignored it
Starlings took some, flew away and didnā€™t come back.
Magpies finished it off.

I measured it, is it better?

Or is this all invalid because used an android phone and the infra red thermometer came from Lidl?

4 Likes

Good effort, but you used the small front burner so the test is clearly invalid. Start all over again!

You also need to think about doing a double-blind A/B/X test.

Mark

2 Likes

I was discussing this with a friend yesterday who seemed to be struggling with his popcorn when it transpired that he hadnā€™t upgraded to a Powerline on his popcorn machine.

Fascinating use of the word ā€œinvestedā€

Has anyone tried cooking theirā€™s in olive oil? Not sure if itā€™s retro but itā€™s definitely not classic.

Iā€™d be very interested to hear if Ghee (Clarified Butter) has been tried by anyone, or was it just something my mother did when we were kids?
I would just add, I have never popped my own Corn.

I always used to make popcorn on the hob with oil/butter. Anyone remember those popcorn packs that used to come with a thin cylinder of fat in the late 70s or early 80s?

Not sure if your popcorn maker is the same but decided to try one of those popcorn makers which has an electric heating element and a fan to blow the corns around and the popped corn out of a nozzle.

I think it was about Ā£15 and is brilliant at making plain popcorn which is great to nibble. Some microwaved butter with a bit of sugar makes a nice pour over sauce though popcorn purists would probably hate it.

Thatā€™s a great idea - must try that - generally use butter in a pan but too easy to burn it. Gheeā€™s smoke point is a lot higher than butter (250 C vs 175 C for butter from a quick search). Funnily enough I bought a tin of ghee a few weeks ago having not used it for a decade or two!

1 Like

I use coconut fat/oil to cook. Gives an added complexity that really complements them.

Did no one get the olive/classic reference?

Iā€™ll get my coatā€¦

3 Likes

Clarified butter and an loose lidded pot on the stove is the only way to do real popcorn.

1 Like

That sounds like the one I have, incredible simple device but works so well. Iā€™m out of corn so next visit to the shops.

1 Like

How do you sweeten it?

Yes, such a simple little device - I thought it was probably a gimmick but worth a shot for the price, and it surprised me how well it worked to produce plain popcorn without using any fat at all.

Iā€™ve tried coconut oil too - wasnā€™t entirely sure about the taste.

Some coconut oils are better than others. Ranging from very mild to quite strong. I prefer the strong flavoured ones. :muscle: :popcorn:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.