How much music?

Tricky to answer for any one else, but I ripped all 280 of my cd’s, you never really know whether one day you might just fancy playing one you didn’t rip, all of mine are in Flac on a nasdrive so very convenient!

convenience. for example, i have found some albums with album artist ‘Beethoven’ and others with ‘Ludwig van Beethoven’ i would like to simply edit this to be consistent using file manager features in QNAP file station music files.

Still, as the DBpoweramp metadata editor can do this I’m curious as to why you would choose to do it in the QNAP app instead.

simply that i found this issue after taking back the CDs to the loft! As i understand it, you need the original CD to use this dbpoweramp editor? sorry perhaps i am not making sense as i am still a novice user…

is this what you are calling dbpoweramp editor or is there a seperate app?

Why play your locally stored library or your CDs if you can stream your music? I know some of us, you included, do not want to subscribe or spend your money on a streaming service, but you really miss out the benefit and enjoyment of streaming technology, it brings you the whole universe of music, and everything associated with music.

Why own an expensive HIFI and limit your experience with your limited local library or CDs?

1 Like

from my point of view – i would not consider my local library as ‘limited’. i definitely have more than i need for now…

The number of CDs that you own over the years is of course of considerable quantity. However, maybe I use the wrong word, limited here means limited to your own preferences, your taste of music, but what I am really saying is that there is an entire world of music waiting to be discovered, and you may never know those exist, you may never know that you actually and really want to listen, even for the CDs that you already own, there are some better, hires version that can enhance your musical enjoyment.

true and good points. but i am an old man now – not sure i have the time or inclination to do this further exploration when, as i am finding out, i have so much music that a rarely play. so perhaps i should explore my current collection first (CDs and Vinyl) before i venture further afield – makes sense??

1 Like

Yes, indeed.

Aside from a fundamental dislike of the subscription service model(for anything), my own music is there, always - inparticular:

• No risk of my favourite albums disappearing due to changed licensing, changed curation practices, changed business model or even collapse of the service provider.
  • No risk of service or internet outages, momentary or prolonged.

My collection of around 1200 albums is not limited in my book: if I were to play 3 albums a day, every day, without repeating anything, would take more than a year to get through them all - and in reality I wouldn’t go a year without playing a good few of them more than once. And I can add to it whenever I find anything I like enough.

I use the subscriptionless services such as Spotify and uTube to check out new things, limited in terms of sound quality but good enough to decide if I like something enough to want to hear again, and if I do I’ll buy it.

My taste in music is relatively limited, there being an awful lot of what other people call music that I can’t stand. Other than widening slightly my taste hasn’t changed in 50 years, and in answer to cout challenge about a decent hifi system, it is to play the music I love as beautifully sounding as it can - as often as I want (and not online streaming means it is at no cost and not dependent upon any other person/service.

1 Like

Your response makes me smile :slight_smile: So nothing in this world can change your mind?

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.

2 Likes

Who knows if anything can make me change my mind - I certainly don’t! What I do know is that to date I’ve seen/heard nothing that convinces me of the merits of handing over a regular sum of money to trust someone else to have the music I want to play available whenever I want it, when I can have that more reliably (based on the frequent posts on this forum about disappearing music, breaks in service etc), without subscription. As I indicated, there are free subscription services that fulfil the olde worlde function of going into a record shop and selecting a few things to try.

3 Likes

You can offer a drink to a human, but you can’t make her or him drink - though he or she may if thirsty, or if it tastes nice enough.

Gosh, didn’t know i has so many Madeleine Peyroux albums!!!
And Keb Mo!!!

2 Likes

Ken, I do all my ripping and editing from my PC where dbpoweramp etc. is installed - I have a drive mapped to my NAS where the music files are.
In File Explorer, browse to the folder where your relevant rips are, highlight the files you want to edit - either single ones or all those for a CD - right click and select Edit ID Tags. This is dbpoweramp’s tag editor.

On Windows at any rate, if you right click on your music file(s) there’s an Edit ID Tag option that pops up an editor like this

As I have selected all the files in that particular folder, where it says All Files in the top right, any edits will be applied to all files in the folder, click on the arrows to move through files for editing individual files. You do have to have Windows Explorer integration enabled in advanced settings in dbpoweramp

Surely similar functionality is available on a Mac.

Alternatively there’s always mp3tag

1 Like

This is absolutely brilliant guys!!! This is exactly the help i was looking for. I wanted to avoid having to re-rip, which sounds very unfriendly – and in fact ‘wrong’ in my view…

:clap: :clap: :clap:

enjoy/ken

1 Like

Yes. dBpoweramp do an excellent tag editor, among other things. I do a lot of restrospective tag editing, sometimes on the fly to my live collection, but I usually do it off line and then replace what is on the server.

I also use dBpoweramp for ripping. It’s endlessly configurable. In a proprietary all Naim universe, WAV rips work well. But when viewed or used outside the Naim universe the accuracy of the tags (if you can even call it tagging) is lamentable. When I went open source on sound quality grounds (my HDX-SSD was throttling the misc.) I had to retrospectively edit all my Naim ripped WAV tags. I still come across legacy Naim rips that need tagging properly and the workflow is now second nature to me.

Downloaded music can be just as bad. Some albums/collections have tagitis. There are so many tags that indexing engine doesn’t know where to start. Others have inaccurate tags or missing tags. I have found the DIY approach works best because I can configure the tags to not only be as accurate as I can make them, but I can configure them to tell me the information that I find most useful and/or interesting. A significant chunk of my most played HiRes collection is ripped from DVDs and BDs, so the DIY rip and tag approach is necessary by default.

I have found that Metadatics does a good job on my Mac. It’s my go-to app for tag editing.

Roger