How much of your total system budget on speakers?

I just had a look at your Dynaudio Heratage Special. They use Dynaudio’s best tweeter, and the midwoofer from one of their very expensive speakers. So your speakers are not really what I’d consider basic. I’d say for their size, they are really quite high quality. As long as you don’t miss the bottom end. I’d hope that those speakers have very few issues. If you were using the special 40, however, that would be a different story.

I loved the heritage specials. Almost got them over the tunetots

Agree. Plus the enormous influence of the enclosure. On virtually every aspect of a speakers’ performance. Often referred to as the ‘extra 3rd or 4th driver’ by speaker designers.

1 Like

Absolutely! I can tell the difference with my pyramid cabinet vs a conventional box just with tapping knuckles on the outside. How is your cabinet with a knock test? Must be rather solid. What is the material?

UPDATE
Speakers selected: Dynaudio Evoke 50’s

Therefore speakers make up:-
Including Naim Fraim, speakers = 21%
Leaving the Fraim out, speakers = 24%

Sorry Mark, missed your reply earlier.

They are made from a Glass reinforced Soric-cored sandwich composite.
The knock test (for what it’s worth) is dead and dry and virtually the same everywhere, regardless where you knock. Weird. It’s essentially a seamless one piece enclosure. The drivers are not mounted with typical screws/bolts around the circumfence (with varying tension & pressure points). Instead, the drivers are ‘pulled’ in the front baffle from the back of the enclosure with a single bolt on torque spec. There are thin Silicon gaskets to seal the driver-enclosure air tight.

There is no damping material of any kind. The required damping is done buy the shape of the enclosure(s). Tapered tube loading via the integrated tweeter housing and a reversed horn absorber for the midrange/bass driver, the actual enclosure. I guess ‘different’ is appropriate here.

This pic gives an impression of the construction.

Apologies for drifting off topic… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

OP, difficult to say since much of my system has been second hand, so actual cost as opposed to replacement value new would have to be factored in.

Speakers cost £450 second hand. They were £1000 brand new 24 years ago. Replacement cost, circa £7000 and rising with inflation.

After more than 200 posts, appears I may have the highest speaker percentage spend at around 60%. So this how my mullet came to be.

I only use a digital source, and to me this is the area of biggest hifi technological advancement over the last few years such that similar audio performance may be achieved at a fraction of the cost 3-4 years ago. I recently tried a Lumin Mini U2 (a very well regarded pure streamer transport) to replace the Raspberry Pi4 that is 1/10 of the cost of the Lumin. Yet the difference in sound quality is almost non existent to my ears. I still believe in source first, just that a quality digital source doesn’t need to be very expensive nowadays.

My Olive Naim amplification are mostly purchased second hand for less than the cost of a new XS3. I may upgrade these when Naim launch their next generation of amps.

I bought the Kudos 606s when my dealer gave me an offer I couldn’t reasonably refuse, and that represented a very substantial upgrade to the PMCs that I had, and made the most impact on the overall system performance.

Very happy with my mullet at the moment.

9 Likes

Anyone who has purchased the likes of the New Dynaudio Focus speakers or the Kef thingies can claim 100% of the cost of their system on speakers. I wonder what the world will be like in another 20 years?

Not really, rather it just makes it arbitrary as to what proportion of the overall cost you ascribe to the various components of the whole.

It’s a pair of speakers regardless what they contain.

About 12…15%

No they are music systems, not just soeakers…

Look like speakers to me :wink:

Looks aren’t everything!!

Dynaudio describe the focus 30s as “floorstanding active wireless speakers”. I rest my case m’lord. No further questions. :relieved:

The word active is significant in that description! So tgey are not just speakers…. Perhaps the OP needs to give guidelines - not only what cost to count (spent, spent adjusted for rpi inflation, new equivalent today, etc) , but also what is a speaker!!!

In which case a Muso Qb or a 1970s radiogram is 100% of the system cost?

The logic just doesn’t work when extended to ‘all-in-ones’

But an all-in-one is essentially…………….A speaker! Ok, Im being a bit facetious (we’ll a lot) but why not, I’ve spent most of my life acting professional and I don’t need to any more but the reality is that technology is moving on and even I question my own conservative views on hifi. In fact, I’m becoming a bit of a rebel. I’ll bow out now in humble fashion, my point having been made. :relieved:

A system not a speaker!!! If it was essentially a speaker, it would produce no sound unless connected to a source and enough power to drive it…