How much of your total system budget on speakers?

We could go on and on, is a smart watch a watch or a system? :joy:.

Naim just increased their prices so the % for speakers dropped to 24%. :thinking:

1 Like

Currently 20%

I agree, things change, at the beginning of this thread I commented on the Kef LS60 representing 100% of outlay. It just happens to be an active speaker with a steamer.

It does have the ability to connect another source to it, so one might add a turntable (with built in phono stage) for £600 and drop the relative percentage to 90 or so % from the original 100%.

Which now leaves me to ponder to I include my subwoofer in the cost percentage , or is that not a speaker? It’s certainly active but is the argument then that it isn’t full range, which then opens a whole new argument , is s speaker only a speaker if it’s frequency response is x to y….

If it’s got a cone on it its a speaker , oh it hang on what about panels ……

Salmon for me please :yum: ATB Peter

1 Like

Nice, took a double take but will leave as is in admiration of the quick response.

Maybe that’s a class a powered active speaker with a grill?

1 Like

Surely all parts of tge electric to acoustic energy conversion should be counted as speaker…. You have a sub because your main speakers don’t go right to the bottom, so how can you not include them? That they are active is a bit different from main speakers being active because it is the only way to have a sub alongside main.

But how to count active main speakers is a significant question, to which I haven’t thought of an answer (myself having actively driven speakers, with no passive crossover so there is no passive option. In my own estimate of 45% of my system cost being speakers (today’s replacement value), I only included the transducers in their boxes, and not the active XO, nor any amps.

I have to agree with @Innocent_Bystander here. An active streaming loudspeaker also contains a streaming board, and an integrated amplifier. Therefore your money is split between these components. It’s not like you get them for free. You just don’t know what the internal components cost you essentially.

1 Like

If I may…How do you find the Marantz?

Kef ls 50 meta £1000
Kef ls50 wireless active £2000

50/50

1 Like

Good luck using this method for all active streaming loudspeakers. I suppose it’s just lucky that there is a version of these with, and without, so you have an idea of the division of your funds.

Not my funds. Just an example

Dali also do active versions.

RUBICON 8 C £7,700

Rubicon 8 £5,600

dali rubicon 2 c £4,000
Rubicon 2 £1,900

Interesting change in system to speaker ratio as the speaker gets more expensive.

I really love it. The DAC is worth the price. I have a few SACDs which is an added bonus

There is also a streamer but I use an outside streamer

Anyone ever try akudoriks? Thinking about swapping into some from naim 705s2 for my nap100, atom he system? Thoughts appreciated.

Around 35% at the moment.

Following a recent change of speakers, and with them not currently tri-amping, the percentage value of mine has changed: up now to approx 60%, expressed as current new or equivalent new replacement values.

Down to 7% from improving the dac.

Depending on you’re situation:

1. Room, if not optimal then you’re gonna spend a lot for marginal improvement, bad rooms are very difficult (impossible actually) to overcome.

2. Speaker, the best you can afford even if that means 80-90% of your budget. The speaker/room system will be the lens you assess all of the upstream components you introduce and by far the most important “component” you choose.

3. Amplifier, MUST be able to effortlessly control your speakers regardless of source material and be transparent to upstream components.

4. Source, Preamp, Cables can then be tailored to your listening preferences. I’m definitely not a “source first” advocate although I understand the reasoning behind it. There are so many amazing ,inexpensive digital sources (and analog for that matter) these days that spending a fortune on one before optimizing speaker/room is hard to rationalize.

2 Likes

Great point with 5% of the budget remaining after you’ve bought your speakers. ATB Peter

Lot of excellent all in one options that can drive pretty much any speaker and make up a 20-80 split depending on budget.
My point is to start with the best speaker you can afford and then build up from there.

1 Like