How old do you feel mentally? (Sister thread to “How young are you?”)

I choose 60 to 69. …mentally I feel younger but legs and knees remind me just about every day, after I exercise, how old I am and the wear and tear on the joints!

2 Likes

Between 9.00am and 5.30pm I age 10yrs everyday. Fortunately I sleep it off.

1 Like

After the battle this last 4/5 months I feel a lot older than I am
First time in my life I’ve struggled to find a job and found out its because I put my date off birth on my cv
I got turned down many times at interviews dispite having more than enough experience and qualifications for the job because they thought it might be to physical for me one still hasn’t found a person for job and still advertising it but keeps changing the add to try and say younger people please apply only with out actually saying that
Any way good news is I’ve got the go ahead on a new job so stuff em now

4 Likes

Getting old can definitely be a problem. Hope your new job works out and you get the chance to “stick it up” those who doubted your experience and commitment.

Thank you Peter yep I hope it works out as well
I’m only a driver have been since I was 19 professionally on busses, coaches and wagons I’ve got more experience than those interviewing sometimes and qualifications in driving and driving related like adr for explosives and chemicals as well as tankers and oversized loads so know what’s what, but some seem to think that off loading a cage off food or plants is to much for my age tell you it makes you feel old even if your not
At the moment I’m working at our local tesco ment to be a delivery driver for dot com home delevery but I’ve spent more time stacking shelves than driving and all for wait for it £8.72 a hour boy I’m I glad to get out off that one, yep it saw me through and stopped the wolves from the door but how you could do that job for more than 6 months I do not know its drove me mad and some have been there for years on that wage how they manage I do not know
I’ll be glad to get back to normal wages and topping up savings again after dipping into them to live

3 Likes

Yes, age discrimination may be banned, but that doesn’t stop it being practised, and even without a date of birth a comprehensive CV would give a good idea, within just a few years -likewise interview. Of course it is possible to see why an employer may feel it best for them to do it. I’m glad to hear you’ve had success.

1 Like

I choose the 60 - 69 because that is where I am and happy to report I can still remember the journey from my youth to present and pretty sharp on most days. I’m still physically and mentally active with exercising my body and mind and will keep pushing the boundaries as long as I can. Life is pretty damm sweet!

2 Likes

That it is, @seakayaker , that it is.

2 Likes

Rather too few votes too spread to draw any conclusions other than that it seems people feel a variety of ages mentally. It doesn’t bear out my speculation that most people have a particular age somewhere around 18-25 that is “them” - an age that once they reached is then the way their core feels from then on: I.e. regardless of the effects of physical ageing, of the maturity and experience that comes with life, of stresses and strains that can be wearing at times, they always return to that core age, simply because it is what they are. Well, that is me anyway, and a few here!

Perhaps a link with reincarnation ?
Some have an unnatural disposition or talent when very young. The core self identity could be related to ones age of soul.

2 Likes

However if that is the case, one would expect many in where the core age is 100s or 1000s of years…

Up until recently I always felt younger in my mind than my body. I have so many injuries from rugby, karate, mountaineering etc that now my mind has been forced to acknowledge my true age (60). However, I have never felt more content with my lot. Retired, great hifi, great wife, lovely dogs, financially secure if not rich, and even in lockdown life is pretty good. My mind seems to be comfortable in its own skin at last…

3 Likes

Yes.

It’s a constant struggle for me as I always think of myself as in my early 40s. Guess that’s when everything started to come together for me. Success in business, material things and my kids were at an age where they started to appreciate me for the person I was other than the monster their mother had convinced them I was.

3 Likes

As I approach retirement in a few months, now with a set date (and busy trying to recruit my replacement), and with certain fundamental life changes built around that change, I find myself thinking more about my actual age, and even find myself saying things about when I may be less able to de things. Whilst in reality I have to accept that some things inevitably change, I hope that after retirement it will disappear from my daily consciousness. Meanwhile I do still feel like a young man inside, albeit trapped in a gradually ageing body,

I worked with a young crowd it was a fun loving department. That is why i worked until 65.
But i also enjoy retirement music and formula 1 racing. And grandchildren.

The other day, I felt like I was in my 20s but I quickly came back to reality by measuring the time it took to get back on my feet after a bicycle crash. 67 seconds maybe…

The problem is Stuart if i could Afford a Mclaren Senna road car i would not be able to get out
The car with my mobility issue. I would have to have a young lady to drive me around.

1 Like

I remember in my 20s i lived at home for £3 a week. But i could not bring girls home because my
Mother would ask if we intend to get married

1 Like

You would age more if you had jam sandwiches for lunch for 50 years like i did.