How practical is electric as an only car?

Light use of brakes is the usual reason for them seizing up. Brake fluid should be changed every two years, it doesn’t wear out but it is hygroscopic.
The caliper should be removed and the pistons ‘worked’ to ensure that they are free.

Given the mass of these cars is similar to a small truck this is important.

2 Likes

That’s my thinking as well. A bit surprised Tesla are this relaxed about braking system inspection/fluid changes.

1 Like

Come to think of it I had a service pack which may have been more than £200. But my memory does not stretch back well to 2015.

There isn’t that much to do on the brakes - the discs on EVs last for aeons (the biggest problem is under use not wear due to regenerative braking), so it’s fluid only for a good few years. I did a quick google and i3 is brake fluid change at four years

1 Like

Our neighbours have had an electric car now for a year or so. The husband suffers from severe “range anxiety” so won’t give up his diesel.

Is ‘Range Anxiety’ the new money spinner for Psychiatrist’s world wide in the 21st Century😂

Agreed, however only as long as the hire cars stay diesel/petrol ……. Just hope range and more importantly charging infrastructure gets much better before the compulsory change to ev’s

Interesting. I guess they come with a canister of slimy gunk and an electric pump to reinflate as long as only a puncture and not a blowout - which is the case with my campervan. I wonder how breakdown companies view that? Some years ago they wouldn’t cover tyre/wheel problems if no serviceable spare wheel - and other than running out of juice I wouldn’t be surprised if punctures/blowouts or wheel damage are the most common causes of breakdown in an EV. Space savers, whilst not great, are infinitely better than nothing,

That’s what my hybrid Peugeot has. With both batteries and an ICE there isn’t space for much more. Fortunately I’ve not had to test the system.

I had to be collected by a low loader both times. Fortunately a third puncture was a slow one and could be driven to the garage and repaired. Never needed the iPace spare but had an average one puncture a year from around 2008 to 2015 between my car / wife’s

That’s half what it should be. But it helps sell replacement calipers especially if they are nice alloy ones :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the replies. To address a few comments, I live in Greater Manchester and could fit a home charger, so have no concerns about local travel. I don’t have a regular long range commute either.

Having been used to just getting in a car and driving it without ever considering if I could put petrol in it, I think “range anxiety” for weekends away/ unexpected trips would be a concern.

So, despite all the good advice, I’m still on the fence!

I would have loved to have bought an EV but cost and range is a huge problem for us. We often travel from a small country town to Sydney and it’s about a 420km round trip. Mrs Pete does it on her own regularly and I don’t want her running out of power in the middle of nowhere at night.

It works for us as range isn’t so critical.
Nearly all trips are local, we do occasionally travel from Sydney to Canberra some 300km but will then charge it overnight before returning. If you want to charge on the way- then simply do it when you have a leisure break.
The EV infrastructure in Australia is someway behind the UK but is increasing, but if its local trips then not so much of a problem, solar power charging at home during the day or overnight on lower tariff.
Key point for us was - soon all new cars will be electric or non petrol/diesel- and we didn’t want to buy a new car so close to that eventual date and be stuck with an uncertain resale value.
If electric motorbikes could go further than a few miles without the need for charge - then id get one of those too

We have a free charging (provided by the council) there’s always an e motor bike there, I would have thought that they’d have good range.

yes it seems there are now motorbikes with quite decent range - I had been following the exploits of a couple of European riders on YouTube - stopping to recharge every 50 miles or so - quite amusing
the mainstream bike manufacturers dont seem to be quite at the races yet

They have a fantastic electric motor bike for sale in the camping goods store here (Drifters). He reckons he sells about one every month or so they’re made in China and cost $10k.

thanks will look it up out of interest
Mrs S and I have a policy of not buying Chinese goods - with very limited exceptions ( her Tesla was manufactured in China)

2 Likes

We try but it’s so hard to avoid them, next time I go past I’ll get some info and a photo.

1 Like

Im sure the Japanese and the British manufacturers will release e motorbikes soon- triumph have a wonderful looking prototype and ive read the Japanese manufacturers are sharing battery technology in trials in Osaka

1 Like

Apparently it is very common.