How to better SBL's

It’s certainly never been the case with me … be happy with our systems, whatever they are at any level, and just enjoy music in peace.

Never been into chasing boxes for the sake of things or being elitist in any manner. I love either a Nait or Statement anyway. Both make music.

Cheers

Phil P

On the nail.

Cheers

It’s probably why I’ve stuck with Naim speakers for 20 years I tried to move away to another brand a few years back this lasted about a year but returned, current arsenal Allaes, SBLs and SL2s

SBLs in second setup on the end of a Nait 2, SL2s with a 300 and the Allaes in storage.

How you better the SBLs is hard for anyone to say, Pete’s post is excellent and says it all.

1 Like

I did just that quite recently and have been pretty amazed with the difference moving from a 72/Hicap to the 52 makes, my SBLs just keep getting better each time I improve things elsewhere

1 Like

I’m smiling as this was the very system I first heard, with a CDi, from Naim, as an introduction at the authorised dealer here, nearly 3 decades ago.

I couldn’t believe my ears then. The emotion conveyed was just… music, and more music. I remember thinking to myself - all that from a shoe box…? Are you kidding me?

It was a fateful day.

2 Likes

The mark 2 SBLs will never be a bottleneck for any Naim system if set up very carefully - till you crave even deeper and more powerful bass. It’s partly why the NBL and DBL existed. If anything, the SBL passive XO will limit its sonics to an extent once we reach 500 series electronics, IMHO. Then active drive comes into play.

I don’t want so many boxes - and neither do I have the space for them. Think most SBL owners will be happy with a passive 500 series setup driving their speakers. More than good enough. In fact, great.

Happy listening!

2 Likes

The Nait and SBLs do sound rather good my source on this setup is an ND5XS2 the whole thing gels together nicely.

One could stop here as an end goal setup.

1 Like

Absolutely agree… why do we even need “more”?

Because… I can, and I want what I want. YOLO. Our equipment upgrades and hubby are men’s toys for our pleasure…

I must hasten to add… I really wouldn’t at all mind a Nait 2 with the SBLs and a Naim streamer as a second system. You’ve seeded my mind, Hifiman… Stop the poison please… :stuck_out_tongue:

Enjoy!

1 Like

There was a time in 2004 that I bought a CDX2 + NAC202 + NAP200 to drive a pair of B&W705s. Then followed the Hicap then the XPS2 and then a complete change to what I have now. Including some LP12 upgrades. Do I regret it? No, i still have it and enjoy it, especially after the service. It has been a useful means to discover and enjoy alot of new music. To answer another question in the other thread, there are so many pieces of enjoyable recorded music out there, so yes it was worth it. Although I must say that I’m glad I did not go further with the upgrades and take a break from that to focus on other priorities. Children’s education, house extension and renovation and other aspects of life.
Balance is the key be it the HiFi and other things in general.
Besides we now have a fantastic room to put it when we retire to our holiday home.
Not once was there ever an elitist or show off element.

1 Like

Some wonderful comment’s here…thanks everyone.

Clive

1 Like

We have SL2 active, SBL, IBL passive, nsat, Kan

I’m going to do a shoot out soon.

Question will a SL2 SNAXO work for SBL and IBL?

2 Likes

Hi Dev… good to see you here, I remember you from the old Naim forums as well and you posted interesting feedback on the SBLs then and your upgrades… was it you?

Never gone the active route and don’t intend to. Isn’t the SNAXO 242 meant for SBLs and SL2s regardless for anyone going active? Their pods can be tweaked, as I understand it. I’m not sure. Never heard the IBLs.

Cheers

Phil P

2 Likes

… the goal being…?

Have fun!

2 Likes

Yes. No change in settings SBL>SL2. Not sure re IBLs.

Bruce

SBL settings work for IBL so you should be fine.

Yes.

Willy.

How to better SBLs? Improve the source, then amps. Keep the SBLs. Sorry, not helpful but it’s pretty much what I have done for over 30 years….

10 Likes

I ran a pair of SBLs with 4x135s with a 52, now they power a pair of Ovator S600s. At the same time I bought a NDS, and last year I bought LP12. I’ve had the speakers nearly 10 years and have not regretted it, although I don’t use the LP12 as much as I thought I would.

2 Likes

I swapped a pair of SBLs for Kudos S20A after a recommendation from a very well known dealer. Much easier to set up, no problem with placement. I wouldn’t say that they are a huge upgrade but the Kudos are ahead of the SBLs I would say.

You’ll be fine Dev. Only thing is that each may like slightly different levels “best”. You may need some assistants… :wink:

1 Like