How to copy music files from computer to Uniti Core

I got one Naim Uniti Core, and tried to copy music files from my computer (Windows) to Uniti Core. But this was not allowed. Anyone knows how to copy music files from computer to Unity Core? Your advices would be appreciated.

Y T

You should be able to copy files to the Downloads folder if you can find this over the network on your computer.

2 Likes

If you are using Windows 10 then you will need to re-allow SMB to run in the Windows set up because a recent Windows update switched it off. You can find instructions on starting SMB on the Internet.

Windows 7 should work without you worrying about SMB unless you turned it off for some reason.

And the instructions given by Naim in the online instructions wizard for the UnitiCore explain how to navigate to the downloads folder using the IP address of the Core. If you get that working then you might like to try using the Core’s name and/or mapping the downloads folder as a drive.

Best

David

1 Like

The Core has two different places to hold music files. Files ripped by the Core itself are held in the Music folder on the store, and the metadata is held in a Naim format. Files ripped elsewhere or downloaded cannot be added to the Music store, and need to be stored in the Downloads folder. The Core will show the two stores as a single music dataset.

Yes but that isn’t the OP’s problem. His Core isn’t allowing the connection over his network. That’s probably an SMB issue.
Best
David

Agreed David, but wanted to make sure he understood the distinction Naim draw to avoid any possible confusion.

Thank all of you for your advices.

Following your advices, I tried again and found it did not work. The music files are still unable to be copied from my computer to Uniti Core. So I have to copy firstly from my computer to USB and then insert USB to Uniti Core for music files move.

Regards,

Y T

YT, you can do this, and indeed, it’s what I do myself. That way the internal drive is just for files ripped by the Core, and the attached USB drive is for any downloads or any Hi Res rips, recordings, or files that needed to be cleaned up and edited on the computer. If I want to add or remove anything it’s just a simple case plugging the external drive into my music laptop, then back into the core.

However, that doesn’t answer why you can’t access the download folder of your core.

What operating system does your PC use?

Is the firmware of your Core up to date?

Best

David

Hi, David,

1. I used Win 10. On my computer I can see the folder in Core, but I am not allowed to copy music files to Core.

2. Not sure whether the updated core firmware.

Regards,

Y T

Regarding windows 10, you need to re-enable SMB1. You can easily find instructions how to do that by using Google. The reason is that the Core uses SMB to talk to the PC, but Microsoft disabled SMB recently on security grounds.

And regarding the Core’s firmware state, you can use the Naim app (go to the gear wheel settings icon and then tap About) to check the server firmware state. It should be 2.5.1

Best

David

Hi, David,

Thank you for your further information, and I will try again. My current problem is:

1. On my computer with Win 10, I can find Core’s folder, but I am not allowed to copy music files from my computer to Core;

2. By searching on my core, it is unable to find and locate the hard disk on my computer, then unable to download music files from my computer.

Regards,

Y T

You have to do what I said in my last post. Unless Windows 10 has SMB switched on, it cannot talk to the Core.

If you google “How to access files on network devices using SMBv1 on Windows 10” then you will find lots of instructions on what to do,

Best

David

You should contact Naim support if you need to do this update and can’t access it in the usual way.

The firmware update isn’t in the Google Play Store. It’s on a server operated for or by Naim and the app just tells you that a firmware update is available. Then you download it using “update firmware” in the Naim app.

But anyway as Chris says Naim support should be able to let you have the latest Core firmware by other means. Which version of Core firmware are you running?
Best
David

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.