How to Rip CD and Play Stored Music via Naim HDX SSD?

Thank you, Chris.

Yep, I read manual thoroughly but did not help.

My NAS is Synology basic one slot one which I can connect from my desktop computer and my TV but not with Naim HDX unit.

I believe that I need Naim Desktop Client software installed in Windows computer (Mac is not compatible) to set it up? (scratch my head) If so, I did and installed Naim Desktop Client and it sees the unit but there is no function to detect & connect attached USB storage device or NAS.

I use a Mac and with my HDX I have the n-Serve desktop client installed which works just fine.
The n-Serve version is 1.4

I should add, rips will be stored to your NAS drive. The HDX cannot rip and save to a USB stick or drive.

You need to use a NAS, not USB storage. Your Synology should be fine, it doesn’t need to be a high spec model.

Try following these instructions to set up a suitable folder on your NAS. They are a bit dated, but you should get the idea:

The DTC is windows only, but for Apple devices you can use the N-Serve app. There are version for OSX and iOS. However, I find the web interface to be the best way to set up and manage music stores. Unfortunately this no longer works as intended due to the demise of Flash, but there is a workaround that will get it running here:

Good luck!

1 Like

Once you’ve downloaded n-Serve from the Apple App Store and installed it on your Mac, you’ll need to add your NAS drive as a “store”.
To do this, click on the top left of the screen where it’ll show your HDX***** and then select “Maintenance”.

Then click on “Network Shares” then on the right side of the screen “Add New”.
Your NAS drive will have an IP address, so if you have some way of discovering what this IP address is (probably by looking at the web interface for the NAS drive) you need to enter the IP number in the correct format - sorry I can’t off hand recall exactly how to enter it but possibly (two backslashes before the number - my computer is only showing one on my post, not sure why) \192.168.0.*** or similar, hopefully someone with better knowledge might be able to remember how it needs to be entered!
It’s been a while since I last added a NAS drive but I’m pretty sure a search on this forum might reveal the information :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much. I just found IP address of NAS and tried to add it and getting this error message.

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 8.56.22 pm

I tried two backslash and one backslash before ip address numbers and still the same.

Not sure what the issue is. I am pretty sure that I put correct IP address and login credential.

Does it mean that I need static IP address?

Did you try without any slashes?
No, it does not require a static IP

You don’t need a static IP address.

This worked OK for me, but before delving any deeper into this, the interface you will get is largely identical to the front screen on your HDX. When it comes to configuring the folders you have created on your NAS, you can do it there without the need for a computer.

Yep. I just tried and still get same error message.

I also tried from HDX unit front touch screen panel itself and still getting exact same error message.

By the way, I have tried nServe on my Mac computer.

I have not tried Adobe Flash alternative method on Windows. My son has Windows computer so will try this method, too.

Thank you again…

I think it’s worth trying the method outlined in the User Manual here:

I also found a post of mine from nearly a year ago, where I was having problems trying to add a synology NAS to my system.
Here’s the link as it might help you too. Pesky HDX backups

I use a Mac but although N-Serve is useful for a lot of stuff I could never get it to work when trying to set up music stores from folders created on a NAS. The browser interface was what worked for me, so hopefully you can get this working. From memory it took me a few attempts, so keep trying and hopefully you’ll get there.

Another issue that catches most people out is that the folders you create on the NAS must be completely empty, or the HDX won’t be able to use them. Don’t even be tempted to click on them to open them, as most computers will then put an invisible file into the folder, so it looks empty to you, but it isn’t. If in doubt, delete your previous folders and make new ones.

Just installed Flash player on my Mac and when I open location and type the “ip address/tv.swf” tiny blank window opens then disappear. I guess that flash player does not work properly on my new Mac Mini.

I will try to follow manual once more and also check the thread referred by @Blythe to see if I can make it work tomorrow.

Fingers hard crossed to make it work.

I understand that HDX is older unit but found very hard to use it for a novice like myself…

1 Like

When the small box opens do you also see Flash Player appear in the top menu bar on your Mac screen? From there you should be able to select File > Open.

Hi Chris

Yes, I actually when to File > Open Location, then type ip address.
The flash player tiny blank window appears then disappear.

Here are screenshot to show version of flash installed and drop down menu bar.

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 10.04.57 am

And, here is the flash player version info.

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 10.05.08 am

One positive progress… The NAS finally appears on N-Serve.

But it’s status “Offline” so cannot Use as Store somehow.

Here is the screenshot.

Hello, @Blythe I checked your the other thread and the last instruction under “Permission” tab under the folder, do I just tick all of assets showing there?

Here is the screenshot that I just tick eveything under “Read Only”

Thank you…

Those Synology apps don’t need access to your music folder.

Click on ‘System internal user’ and select ‘Local users’. You should be able to see any user accounts you have set up, including admin, guest, etc. Give them read/write access.

1 Like