How to sell vinyl and CD collection?

Am finally planning to sell my vinyl and CDs to raise funds for better boxes.
I only have around 300 vinyl LPs/12 inch singles and 300 CDs.
(I cannot see myself going back to either system of reproduction.)
So I can either:
A. Get someone like Dig Vinyl in Liverpool to value them and buy them? They have offered to come to my house to value them. The downside of that is that they will offer a wholesale price. But it’s a quick way out.
B. Sell them one by one on Discogs, eBay or elsewhere. Where is best? Will I have to photograph and upload and describe and value each record? This sound like a week’s solid work. What happens if there’s a scratch on a record that the buyer doesn’t think I described properly or they just don’t like the condition of sound when they get the record - then presumably I have to refund it (or face nagative feedback on my profile). This sounds like a lot of hassle.
C. Record fairs. Is there a good one to sell a whole collection??
Any ideas welcomed.

Discogs is very easy - providing your item is on the database (very likely), there is minimal filling in to be done. All you have to do is fill in the condition and set a price!

The cut they take is pretty fair.

2 Likes

thanks Kevster
and what’s the best way to set a price?
look on Discogs?
also look on eBay?
or is there a guideline/database elsewhere?

I have recently tried to sell some LPs on eBay.
Despite my price being lower than all the others on there, I have not sold one !
There are plenty of LPs on there at (to me) silly ;Buy It Now’ prices, but are they ever sold.
Slow process getting rid of them
I am now thinking of doing a ‘job lot’ of say 10-20 LPs and see if that fares any better.
Good luck

1 Like

Thanks - very useful input.
With my books, job lots seem to sell quite badly as most users don’t want to ‘waste’ money buying and paying for postage on books they don’t especially want.
Even if the price accounts for that, it seems to put people off.
Might be different with records (but I doubt it)

I agree with Kev that discogs is simple to use.

But be careful with eBay Jim, their rules are that you are responsible for the safe shipping of the item to ensure it arrives in the condition described (ie. The condition it was in when you post it) . I had a bad experience when Mr Postmsn decided to batter and bruise a well packaged vinyl, which I then had to reimburse the buyer for…and I still received negative feedback. :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Yes - that’s exactly what I fear.
But surely that can happen with Discogs too?
How does one pack an LP for safe transit?
Are there hard card LP sleeves for sale?

Discogs but be prepared it might take YEARS. I put about 100 LPs on discogs about 5 years ago. I’m now down to about half a dozen. It’s easy to list and easy to process so it’s not that much hassle but it can take a long time. I tried a local record shop and ended up walking out of the shop I was so disgusted with the offers.

2 Likes

With my first editions I finally sold 69 of them yesterday at Chiswick Auctions and raised £2k after fees.
8 of the 9 lots sold - but mostly near or at the reserve prices.
The problem is you pay about 14% or more seller’s fee - but also the auction room adds a 25% buyer’s fee on top of the hammer price, which kills the bidding 25% earlier than it otherwise would have been.

2 Likes

I packaged robustly Jim. Proper card envelopes, card stiffness, bubble wrap, cling film. Separating the vinyl from sleeves etc. All the recommended things. You name it, I did it.

But Mr Postman is very resourceful. It’s a risk, so be aware of it. Insurance is there, but the hassle…ugh ! :thinking:

2 Likes

Yes, that’s also what I fear.
Too long and drawn out.
Did you ever lower prices to sell them faster? Would that work?
Have you got very good retail prices in return for your patience?
eBay has a clever option called Easy Pricing that automatically lowers the price by 5% each auction down to a minimum that’s around half the original asking price.

I purchased a pack of proper cardboard mailers. I also wrap in polythene and take the album out of the sleeve to avoid sleeve damage. Not had any issues with mail damage even to Australia.

1 Like

How does that work?
Do you mean vinyl is out of the inner sleeve, or out of its outer cardboard sleeve?
What is it protected by?

I check what discogs suggests for the prices so I tended to always be at the bottom of the suggested pricing. Some of my albums were/are quite old but I’ve generally got back what I paid for them… even the 180g version that were a couple of years old. Try to be truthful with the condition… it helps your reputation. e.g. if it says mint then, to me, that means never played.

2 Likes

Out of the cardboard sleeve I mean. I also used some new paper sleeves for the vinyl to avoid damage to the original paper sleeve.

1 Like

Wow - I’ve been very lucky then.
Sold about £3k of stuff on ebay this year to raise hifi funds - had 100% positive feedback.
Just off to post office now!

So roughly speaking for 100 LPs one might expect to get £1000?
Or is that too much to expect?

I have been buying CD’s like crazy recently from charity shops. I only buy them if they have at worst some minor surface scratches, and everything that should be there, is there, eg. booklets, card covers etc. The good news for me and bad news for you is that I am buying them at 3 for £1. Seems no one wants them anymore. Didn’t LP’s go through the same price crash some years ago?

2 Likes

You can get unjust feedback removed these days. As I have had done when scammers are rumbled and leave Negative Feedback. :smile:

2 Likes

well, then the good news for me is that I can leave them alone and not have to sell my CDs!
just my records I think