How to sell vinyl and CD collection?

Hi @JimDog -Discogs helpfully suggests a price based on previous sales and condition. You can see what other copies of your pressing have or are selling for (highest, median and lowest). If you want to sell stuff quickly, best go below the median price.

Be careful that you get exactly the right pressing on the database, and that you grade carefully - Discogs users are fussy about such things and are generally pretty knowledgeable.

3 Likes

What scams have you encountered on eBay or Discogs?

Most of my unwanted LPs either never sold or only fetched a couple of quid. Apart from very rare stuff on coloured vinyl or similar.

1 Like

Was that on eBay?

Thanks - this sounds easy - and I don’t have to take and upload photos…

1 Like

Probably the best bet. Always good to keep some physical media, just in case.

but i have no CD player…my CD5i was sold for £460 on ebay…

1 Like

It was Naim kit on eBay. UK sale only and the Buyer was in Italy but used a “proxy” address in the UK. The address looked suspicious and so I Google’d it and cancelled the sale. They weren’t happy and so left Neg Feedback - so I contacted eBay and got it removed. :smiley:

1 Like

It was yes.

1 Like

i think that discogs or ebay will take years to sell it. If you sell in shops, or by a dealer for a whole collection, it’s quicker. I sold a lot of lps in the past, i could get between 5 to 10 euros per album in general.
What are the boxes you are thinking of Jim?

1 Like

You could also list them on Facebook. There are plenty of sales pages on there, including in your area, and I’ve bought vinyl off there lots of times. The advantage is that I usually collect from the seller so I can see the quality and the seller gets cash with no charge.

1 Like

I sold maybe 300 or so LPs on eBay - but that was about 9 years ago, so of course marketability May have changed (might be better now given resourgence?). Took about a year overall. Not all put up at the same time - I’d prepare details of a dozen or two over a week then put up together.

I sold individually, but allowing bundled postage. I bought packaging - proper cardboard outer things, in a couple of sizes, maybe size 1-2 and up to 5 albums. Weighed to work out postage cost per album, per album gatefold, per double. I used a spreadsheet to set up simply, enabling easy updating as well if postage increased, or someone wanted abroard. My postage cost was set at packaging sleeve cost + actual post + + recorded delivery fee (I would never sell on eBay without that backup) +10% eBay selling fee on the postage +3.4% PayPal fee. For multiples I assessed the combinations, fur up to the max I could fit in a multipack, and worked out a simple discount per additional album if more than one, that ensured whatever the combination I got no less than the aforementioned costs. That way, whatever an album sold for I could never lose on the postage.

I checked eBay to get an idea of possible value for each album to choose a reasonable starting price, but if negligible I started at 10p. Quite a few went for that - but I was content they’d gone to a good home rather than the bin. But others went for more. Any potential collectors items and it is worth checking the ‘matrix number’ - scratched or stamped in the runout area - and checking online to find out if, for example, it was original first pressing, which often command a higher value. I had quite a few of those, e.g. Led Zep & Pink Floyd, which typically went for several 10s of £, and some over £100. Most sold, some on first listing, others I repeated until they sold.

I did photograph and give full detail of albums, but where readily available copying and pasting track listing from the likes of discography (but if you do that, do check correct!). Obviously worth the effort of greater care on the potentially more valuable ones.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks - great information, IB.
This suggests I should go through and locate the valuable ones and sell them on Discogs.
And then sell the remaining ones in bulk or at a car boot sale - because going to all that work for 10p is not worth it.

1 Like

Just give them to charity. Your reward will be in heaven. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Having worked for a couple of charities, I’m not convinced that they necessarily earn contributors a VIP pass through the pearly gates.
But that is an angelic way to recycle my CDs and keep them out of landfill.

1 Like

With regards the CD’s, download Music Magpie and Ziffit apps onto your phone. Scanning won’t take that long and you will be able to identify which CD’s are worth selling on ebay or discog. If they offer less than 50p you know it’s not worth the effort in listing on ebay or discog IMO. If they offer £1 you might gat £2 or £3 for it on ebay.

With regards to the LP’s, ebay has one advantage over discog for the seller who doesn’t have the time or expertise to determine the value. If you list with a starting price at what you think is reasonable and include photos/description of labels, if it is collectable/valuable people will find it bid on it.

With regards to posting records, it costs the same to send eight records as it does to send one record with royal mail within the UK. I use cruciform cardboard mailers and always sandwich the record I’ve sold between a couple of worthless records I quite often have lying around. I’ve never had a record damaged in transit, and I’ve posted to China, Japan, Chile, Korea and Scotland.

1 Like

Thanks, FC. Does Discogs not correct mistakes in pricing in the same way - or does that not happen becuase it’s a straight purchase rather than an auction system?

I shifted a pile of CDs last year, on Music Magpie. It raised about £40 for I think about 70 CDs, give or take. I’ve still got the rest of the collection, they were disposable. And the recent decision to abandon vinyl after a couple of years of half-hearted attempts to convince myself it was worth it was concluded by sticking a pile on Gumtree & Preloved as a job lot - 14 LPs, all in as new condition listed in alphabetical order. £90 in my hand within a couple of days, handed them over in a Sainsburys car park to a willing buyer…

In both cases there were probably avenues to explore that could have led to a few more quid in my pocket but life’s too short to bother. Once the decision is made to get rid, they can go. Space, tidy house, the satisfaction of moving things on is worth a handful of £ notes.

1 Like

Wow - thanks this is a excellent story, and great advice.
The quality of responses on this thread is a great example of why the Naim Forum is uniquely what it is.
I now officially toast my Naim brethren in the Foxholes of Hifi…

I recently got shot of around 400 lps, singles and cd’s. I found there is no or zero market for 2nd hand cd’s and I didn’t want to go to the hassle of packaging and posting either, particarly as none were collectors’ items. I took the vinyl to a record shop in Stratford I patronise and he took the lot for what I thought was a decent price. The cd’s I dropped in at a charity shop. Done and dusted!

1 Like