How & why are fuses directional?!

Now you’re just being cruel. Some members here are likely to have a nervous breakdown reading that.

5 Likes

Serious question: how do you now some of those are fakes (and if so which ones), as opposed to, for example, simply some being older production than the others? I have some, possibly quite ancient, Bussman fuses with the name around the diameter not along the length. Does anyone actually buy fuses by name, to be worth faking? If any of the two you show together are fake I would expect it to be the other one, with the poorly printed name!

There are copious reports available about counterfeit fuses, it does appear to be a big problem.

Some context for this;

Start;
Electrical Safety First was established as the [National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting]
The National Inspection Council was in turn created from the National Register of Electrical Contractors, established in 1923, an organisation set up to provide protection for consumers against unsafe electrical wiring and equipment. Significant events in their history:

• 1956 NICEIC set up
  • 1959 First NICEIC newsletter published
  • 1970s Around 18,000 separate electrical installations inspected each year
  • 1971 NICEIC is registered as a charity.org
  • 1983 First computer introduced into NICEIC Head Office
  • 1986 NICEIC Head Office moves to Vintage House, London
  • 1988 [NICEIC forms NQA, National Quality Assurance])
  • 1992 16th Edition of IEE Wiring Regulations adopted as British Standard
  • 1998 NICEIC Roll published on CD-ROM and website
  • 2000 NICEIC becomes a UKAS accredited certification body
  • 2002 Technical Manual launched
  • 2005 The charity was renamed. The Electrical Safety Council and started to carry out the charitable objectives of the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting. NICEIC Group Ltd formed to carry out the commercial aspects of the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting.
  • 2006 Electrical Safety Council sets up its offices in Buckingham Gate, London
  • 2014 Rebrands and becomes Electrical Safety First
    End;

DG…

2 Likes

Gates now have to sell their cambelts in boxes sealed with a hologram.
Bosch fuel pumps are also being faked. You don’t want a counterfeit fuel pump on a turbocharged car!

My mate runs a Motorsport company and now buys direct from both Gates and Bosch due to fakes appearing from his suppliers.

1 Like

Interesting - I knew about counterfeiting of high value stuff but not things costing so little, though thinking about it fuses contained in imports of electrical goods from countries without strict electrical regulation and control would be mass produced in said countries, and some sort of stamp put on them so they appear correct.

I’ve posted this before re fake fuses, it’s an interesting and concerning read, watch the video clip at the end.

www.pat-testing-training.net/articles/fake-fuses.php

1 Like

Earth magnetic field?

1 Like

Yes these are faked and I posted a picture of the difference the photo is from a huge study done on these so it makes it obvious that some products to the counterfeiters is worth doing.

https://www.pat-testing-training.net/articles/fake-fuses.php

Look at the fuse ends most obvious is deep dimple is wrong.
I’ve seen auction listings where there are quantities of these and some ads for precious metal plated versions with deep dimples in the picture. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Well if you google it, it’s less about singling out fuses for counterfeit and more the mass counterfeit of components used in both industry, infrastructure, andanufacturing, of which Bussman make quite a lot of fuses, not just domestic UK ones.

Synergistic fuses are definitely directional. Dead easy to hear.

Bussman fuses need to be tested for which way sounds best. Using the body print on a mass produced penny product as a reference for direction is laughable.

1 Like

They do, but as reported, that is also faked on the counterfeit fuses.

I used to work for NQA (NICEIC) and then BASEC. At BASEC, we used to test suspected counterfeit electrical cable on behalf of manufacturers and Trading Standards.

Not wishing to labour a point, but many years ago I checked all my fuses in the house to confirm that they are correct. Changed to all Bussmann fuses and got them from RS Components.

DG…

3 Likes

Just to throw another hand grenade into the conversation:

“It may not be immediately apparent, but a 13A rated fuse is not designed to actually blow at 13A. In fact, a 13A fuse will allow a current of 20A to pass indefinitely without blowing.”

Here’s the BS1363 requirement for 3 and 13A fuses:

Surprised me when I found out…

(Taken from a PAT training site)

Mark

3 Likes

I read about this IIRC this is for approximately 30 minutes then it will blow.

I’ve also been informed that IEC is limited to a 10A current

IEC covers a larger group of plug/sockets
The IEC cable end plug used with Naim is IEC-320 C13
C13 (& its C14 partner) are rated at 10 amps with 250 volts and 15 amps with 115 volts

According to the graph, a 13A fuse should pass 20A for at least 10,000 seconds without melting. I make that nearly 3 hours!

Mark

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.