Hugo TT charger help

My son has managed to lose the charger of my Hugo TT (original) which I need to put into use as my TT2 has developed a fault. I will be obliged if you could let me know what volts and amps the charging lead for the Hugo outputs and ideally if you could include a picture which might help him find the said cable in his kaleidoscopic room.

.sjb

It’s 12V 0.5A according to the manual.

[wrong photo removed]

2 Likes

Thanks Robert, is that listing for a TT rather than a TT2?
From flaky memory the power lead was the transformer in plug head variety.
I can’t seem to locate that add on eBay.

.sjb

Ah my mistake
Not a lot of detail here unfortunately.

1 Like

We’ve found one not too dissimilar to that and the correct output and so the old (hopefully) trusty Hugo TT is charging and will step up and provide some digital music over the coming few weeks. I don’t expect getting warranty repairs in the UK from Ireland is as simple as it was last New Year’s Eve.

.sjb

Any power supply that can provide a minimum of 0.5A at 12V should be fine. Less than the specified Ampèrege is more likely to cause problems than more.

1 Like

All up and working thank goodness.

Having had a day’s vinyl it’s made me more resolute in my plan to use the Roon extension to play LPs through Roon convolution.

.sjb

Hi SJB,

I appreciate that you must have done the comparison when you originally went to the TT2 but I would be interested in your opinion of the TT once it is warmed up again.

Cheers,

M

I have never done a direct comparison as I added the M scaler when I got the TT 2.

I’ve never been one for a new product makes the old one “sound broken” and certainly at the time when I upgraded I would have said it was worthwhile but not game changing improvement that seemed to remove the last vestiges of digital hardness, glare or hash.

However putting the TT back in place with m-scaler at half strength the sound is quite disappointing, there is certainly an edge which perhaps once you get used to it not being there it is very annoying when you hear it again. The difference is such that I’m even worried there may be something else wrong than just the TT " as I’m my genuinely surprised at the level of diminution in sound quality.

Before I went on holidays I would have said that I had no interest whatsoever in an upgrade, that the system was sounding as good as I had any right to expect. What I’m hearing currently would have me searching threads for talk of fiber, Ethernet switches and the various other ephemera involved in this wonderful hobby of ours. Going from what I am hearing at the moment the TT 2 M scaler is better by some margin than the original with the M scaler.

.sjb

Hi SJB,

Thx for the feedback, always interesting to hear peoples thoughts when they do the reverse change - and I am very glad that it has strengthened your opinion.

M

@MrUnderhill Thankfully at least I added this bit to my post above.
So there are 3 bnc outs on the MScaler. " for the dual BNC to Hugo TT2 and the other is for single connection. I had connected one of the double BNC outs and as far as I can figure out I was getting a single speaker feed being sent to both speakers. No wonder it bloody sounded broken!

So after setting it up correctly and playing around a bit I’ve gone back to how I used the Hugo TT back when it supplanted my CD555, that is USB in and no upsamling. I had played with HQ Player and eventually found I preferred the sound of the Hugo TT not being fed upsampled files. The same holds true even with the mscaler sending the upsampled files.

So how does it sound, damn good. I think when I put the TT2 back in with the MScaer dual bnc that there will be an uplift along the lines I’ve mentioned above, more nuanced and pleasing than wham bam dramatic.

So apologies to the original Hugo TT - it’s still a great DAC.

.sjb

Hi SJB,

I was a bit surprised you had such a bad result. I use the TT into a 140 & LS3/5a as my nearfield system and am very happy with it. I have never tried to use it in place of my MScaler/Qutest.

Glad you are back to something you can enjoy :wink:

M

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.