Hugo Victor

Hi Allante,

And a belated ‘welcome back’.

I am always wary with adding small boxes to a well honed power and grounding regime such as Naim. I had an enjoyable journey with Sonore and they can sound excellent. I ended up with an Intel NUC + Audiolinux which to me sounded a tad better than the dCS Network Bridge, but consisted of equipment covering three shelves!

I also found I was spending too much time researching technology and robbing myself of musical pleasure.

A single step can lead you down an interesting path, for better and worse.

The Streambox into a Qutest works very well. No buggering about needed. Most of the setups on the more obsessive forums cause more problems than they solve (although most don’t seem to understand what they are trying to solve in the first place).

Keep it simple.

1 Like

Chord actually doesn’t believe that “over-doing” the streamer yields great dividends. For instance, their DACs re-clock. So, in theory, there shouldn’t be a benefit when using an expensive master clock. Take SOTM, main selling point of the SOTM SMS 200 Ultra is improved clocking – which I was advised matters to the Hugo 2 or the Qutest…

Thanks for the warm welcome, nice to be back!

I tend to agree, find an entry point and enjoy the music! The How will take care of itself!

I wouldn’t say the Streambox is particularly over specced in this regard. There seems to be a bit of care taken over ‘cleaning up’ the USB output. Saying that, the Qutest sounds equally fine running on the USB output from my Roon Nucleus. I just had both to hand to use as USB sources.

I didn’t mean to suggest that the Stream Box is “over-doing” it. To me, it possibly looks about right, and you can get it in the “right” colour… Again, bl*** OCD kicking in… :crazy_face:

I was more thinking about SOTM’s Trifecta – a three-box combo that would come out more expensive than the Hugo 2 and the Qutest. For better sound quality, I actually wonder whether Trifecta monies are better put towards a Hugo TT2…

1 Like

Graeme, interesting to hear how you get on… I didn’t gel with the Hugo2.
The Hugo mk1 into 552 is the reference for me… but I have discovered with the 552 that the PSU does come into play with the Hugo…

Two boxes with an unobtrusive off-board DAC as opposed to additional power supply. No isolation or re-clocking issues means that’s all that is required…I’ll not be fiddling!

I now think I understand the ‘Mandelbrot effect’ :scream:

G

1 Like

I remember my Hugo 1 well. To me the 2 surpasses it and with remote control for volume it’s a super DAC into the 250DR. It did take about 5 days after initial switch on for the sound to balance out mind.

Been running it a few weeks now.

G

1 Like

Yes, but Mandelbrot is not equal to ‘Bokeh’ however they could be the same.

1 Like

Being a novice about this streaming, its difficult following the dialog! Just curious, does this ring a bell:

" HALLOWEEN MAN MEMBER

8/27/16 3:37

yes, the hugo has its own internal preamp\volume\voltage control. it cannot be bypassed. connecting it to a second preamp will degrade transparancy, even if it was the best preamp ever made."

Non sequitur?

G

advertising or truth?

Looks like no Pre! If one is connecting the hugo to a pre amp!

Thanks for the new word!

I better stay in my lane!

I have a lot to learn about streaming, thanks!

This week I compared a Chord TT2 to the 272 for DAC and preamp duties in my system.
Conclusion: both were very good.
They had different sonic signatures.
The Chord was sweeter and smoother - the 272 was crisper and more alive.
I could live with either, but on a 2 hour test I’d stick with the Naim DAC and preamp.
The decider was playing Three O’Clock Blues by Clapton and BB King - the Chord was distinctly weaker at reproducing the track as a whole - less engaging, less like being there, I was less carried away by the music.

I’ve always been curious as to what a complete Chord combo would sound like - TT2 with the Toby power amp, Chord Dave with the Etude. A better match than using a Naim power amp maybe ?

In my own setup, the little Qutest looks like it’s a keeper and will be integrated into my headphone system freeing up my 1Z for work and holiday duties :sunglasses:

Very interesting! Uhm😕

No idea at all what this means!

1 Like

[quote=“JimDog, post:36, topic:3148”]
This week I compared a Chord TT2 to the 272 for DAC and preamp duties in my system.

Can you elaborate more, how exactly you had the TT2 hooked up? Did you use the TT2 directly into your amp, or just into analog inputs on the 272?

1 Like