Hum and pops with New VPI Prime 21

I tried both bear platter and a Music Hall cork mat. You can hear the static on the album when removing it.

I’ve used the AudioQuest Carbon Fiber brush each time, but will also try it before I remove the record.

I’m terrified of blowing out the Superline or worse with this static.

It does sound like the issue we had at Naim with a particular deck we had on loan. It was likely an earthing issue within the deck itself - possibly the bearing as this can sometimes be tricky to get continuity. Other possibilities could be within the arm. Have you been in contact with your VPI dealer or with VPI themselves?

Note with regard to hum and the Superline; it’s very sensitive to any PSU being close by. I have mine on a separate shelf of a “brain” stack (no PSUs) and it’s completely silent.

2 Likes

I was never convinced that the Zerostat was effective. The Furutech does seem to work.

I tried using the Ursa Major carbon fibre brush both before and after playback, but still experienced static charge on occasions. You are right about being fearful of damaging the Superline as I did experience problems shortly after a charge. I returned it to Naim who installed a new board so effectively an almost new product. The improvement compared with the pre-damaged Superline was significant, so not a bad outcome.

One thing I tried was a bit (a couple of drops) of cationic surfactant in the ultrasonic record cleaner (in the form of Reinette Zero fabric softener, which has few additives), it worked pretty well to control static, if not so good for wetting the record but if there’s any residual anionic surfactant it results in something pretty nearly insoluble, at least in anything you’d want to put on a record. I’ve stopped using it at the moment but I don’t rule it out for the future if I go back to the SPU cartridge.

The Prime should be used without mat. That’s how it was intended.
Nevertheless, statics may occur even without the mat.
As to the brush, yes to use it right after playing, it helps.

Maybe I repeat myself but I really solved the issue washing the records with a good fluid and changing the inner sleeves to an appropriate one.
These two simple actions along with a good brush have reduced the troubles to a minimum.
And I am pretty sure that both the Zerostat and the Furutech will help, that’s also a good suggestion.
Otherwise, I suggest you to look for the same issue in VPI’s forum, the issue is know and Matt, who designed this deck is very active and supportive.

Please disregard this part…I just realized that the VPI forum is gone…it was about time I did not visit that i missed the information… I am sorry for the incorrect information :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been chatting with the retailer, will have a Zoom call with them later to see if we can troubleshoot.

The Superline is on it’s own shelf, but on the same rack.

It’s the same configuration that I had with my Rega RP3, just swapped in the new TT.

2 Likes

I don’t think it will help with the popping, but I’d move the Superline to the far right of the shelf as it’ll move it away from the Hicap and also away from the AC motor above it.

1 Like

Yeah was there originally, but moved it over so I could connect the grounding wire to the SN3 ground.

It made no difference, but I’ll be moving it back over to the right for good measure.

Slight update: I found this video about replacing the capacitor in the motor pod from VPI, which may address the pops with the motor on and off:

I’ll give it a whirl when they send me the part post-holidays.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.