Humming from my phono

No grounding terminal on the deck and yes it is a proper and relatively hi-end tonearm cable.

I tried different combinations and this one is the quietest one but there’s still a bit of noise from the motor. The phono is clearaudio balance v2.

It’s not very close but connected to the same wall socket. I will move it further away and see if that makes any difference.

1 Like

Good spot! The deck is bellagio reference with origin live enterprise and titanic audio model s cart. A rather good sounding combination :ok_hand: I think the next step is to try to move the turntable power supply further away and connect it to another socket as suggested by Richard to see if it helps. The hum is barely noticeable the worst part is I know it’s there :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Please bear in mind, I am not suggesting this as a solution, but as a troubelshooting step.

Can you do a test with a another phono cable? Even a $10 cheap one and none of the exotic secondary signal ground and shield ground on your high end cable? If it eliminates the last remnants of the hum, it won’t be a solution but it will provide valuable information.

Or is the supplied cable hardwired to the deck?

I’ve looked on their website and they do a number of cables, but which actual one is it?

DG…

I think that what is confusing me is the number of additional leads on the phono cable and your reference to touching the phono and the noise going.
Looking at the Origin Live website there is a picture of the internal wiring. What I interpret there are four coloured tags that connect to the phono cartridge, plus there is a grey wire with a circular connector that I would expect to connect to the headshell or arm tube. Then for continuity, the cable in your later picture labelled arm earth would connect to the grey wire at the base of the arm and then one of the blue or black cables connect to the earth post on the back of the phono amp.
As @feeling_zen says it might be worth trying a basic lead.
The other thing is the labelling of screen earth and signal ground. Does this mean that rather than a coaxial signal with the screen being the earth, that there is a signal and a ground cable and the screen is separate? A question for Origin Live?