Humming through AUX2 record section

Yeah - tried flicking that switch. No difference.

Also tried a couple of resistive plugs. Slightly better but not acceptable

What capacitance plug have you got in ?

I’ve got a 100 resistive plug. Tried a few capacitance plugs. A little better but still not right

My turntable power supply has one earth lead to TT arm and one to back of Superline. I’ve tried a mix of a few combinations which altered the hum a little but not enough.

Weird why it works fine with snaic to 252

Yes that’s a bit strange. One thing that may be worth trying is a standard Naim 4–5 cable in place of the Witchhat version, just to rule that out.

I’m confident it’s not the cable. Didn’t work with din to RCA cable either

I just mentioned the cable as issues have come up before on some systems using the Witchhat 4–5 cable with hum.

One more thing which may be worth trying is powering the Superline from the Supercap socket 1 via a SNAIC5 rather than the Burndy and see how that goes (with Burndy link plug back in on Superline)

Thanks @james_n

I’ve just tried powering the Superline from Supercap as you mention using a SNAIC5 (and still with Witchhat cable) and that’s sorted the hum. I wouldn’t say it was silent but not far off at 10 o’clock.

Must be the Naim Burndy which is almost brand new or some issues with the Superline

Hmmmm

I’m baffled to be honest

Interesting. It does point to an issue with the Superline when powered via the Burndy, particularly as you’ve tried both Supercaps. Might be worth seeing if you can borrow another Superline and Burndy to try out. How old is the Superline ?

@Richard.Dane - I’m sure there was an issue with another Superline which was exhibiting some instability and oscillating when used with a Burndy. I think the factory had seen this before when you checked it out and it needed a bit of fine tuning ?

Yeah - Superline is 2018 which was bought used. I bought the Supercap and Burndy about 18 months ago to use with the Yamaha amp I had it the time. Worked fine then (Supercap used, Burndy brand new).

Superline worked fine when I got the 252 and 2nd Supercap. Weirdly only heard hum previously when the record outputs were unmuted - that’s now changed to the main inputs so something must have deteriorated.

I’ll try stripping down the system and re-build next week. If that doesn’t sort it I’ll have a chat with my dealer

Here’s the thread

Good luck :crossed_fingers:

Thanks - yeah, saw that thread. Think the resolution was a fix for the Superline. Not sure what exactly …. Mine is from the same year of production so might be a known issue

Will update on here how it goes

1 Like

Yes, it could well be that James. IIRC the Superline needed to go to the factory for some fine tuning.

1 Like

My Superline is now at my dealer who couldn’t replicate the issue. They are going to partner with Naim to understand more.

Quick question @Richard.Dane . I’ve just realised there’s a ground connector on the 252 which I wasn’t using. Should I have used this instead of the one on the back of Superline when powering from Supercap?

Not sure what the best practice is

Cheers

Ade

The Ground connector on the Superline would be the one I would use, although its sometimes worth experimenting with different ground connections where you have hum issues.

Did your dealer have all of the kit from you - the Superline and the same Supercap and Burndy? It’s the combination of all three items that, if all are at one end of a particular tolerance, can sometimes tip into instability.

1 Like

Thanks - gave them the Burndy but not supercap as I tried 2 at home

Update
Just got the Superline back from Naim who have installed a mod under warranty and sorted the hum issue.
I don’t have any hair left to pull out so will just warm everything back up and enjoy the music.

Thanks to everyone who’s contributed to the thread and my local dealer (Hi-Fi Sound in Stockton-upon-Tees) for their support, patience and resilience . Appreciate it.

Cheers

3 Likes

After re-installing after the modification, the sound wasn’t great. Wondered if the mod had an adverse impact.
After 5 days everything is sounding great again. Thank goodness. Weird why things take a few days to settle in from cold

Did they tell you what the “mod” was? Is it unique to the 2018 SL or does it affect earlier SLs also?

It’s likely the same one that has to be applied when the tolerances of Superline, Burndy and Supercap all add up to be just “off”. It’s rare but has happened in the past, as perviously documented on the forum.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.