HumminGuru & Degritter Ultrasonic RCMs

I will do probably a second tank with only distilled water then.

2 Likes

That works. Another option is if you have an old vacuum rcm you can use that for a chemical cleaning stage (only for older or dirty/noisy records) followed by a rinse in the degritter. Neil recommended (for Europe) Dehypon which is a highly concentrated industrial cleaner. He gives the correct proportions in his book and in the thread. I have been using this approach and it has been excellent. For difficult / old records multiple different cleaning stages works wonders.

Btw his advice is not to use retail cleaners like dishwasher fluids not least because of what else they put in the mixture that can remain glued to your LP.

1 Like

The ingredients are printed on the bottle. The cheaper off-brand ones have only a tensid. The more expensive brands add perfumes and other useless crap, skip those (for records and for the dishwasher)

1 Like

Keywords for search: Precision Aqueous Cleaning of Vinyl Records

3 Likes

Isn’t that a brand name? You can Google the safety sheet for Tensid to see the chemicals it includes. To be honest if it was my records I would ask Neil what he thinks about it before using it. He is a the expert and amazingly friendly.

2 Likes

“Tensid” was the wrong word, it’s the German term for a class of chemicals that in English is known as

The rinse aids all contain non-ionic surfactants, which is also the main ingredient in nearly all expensive formulations for vinyl. In the cheap rinse aids its just that and water, and the fancy ones have perfumes etc.

1 Like

Got it. He recommends two specific surfactants. Enjoy reading his book and talking to him if you do.

Yes, thanks a lot for the info!

1 Like

I’ve made some edits here. Please note and respect forum rules - please don’t import or reference arguments/discussion from other forums. Thanks.

Seconded, thank you @badger1 for the info, and sorry if we encouraged you to post anything that contravened forum rules.

I’ve been reading bits of the paper, and responses of the author in various places, an incredible amount of information. I’m definitely going to read up a bit more before experimenting beyond distilled water in my HG cleaner.

2 Likes

It’s news to me that now one can’t even mention other forums. We haven’t been “importing arguments” :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Sorry - that was really an apology to badger1. I think it was references to the S**** H****** (hope I counted the asterisks correctly!) forum. But happy not to descend into fractal apologies if I didn’t understand you fully :smiley:

It would be great to reference the paper more clearly. I found it fine hosted on a vinyl blog site from information in this thread that is still present, but the paper is quite something, a valuable reference.

1 Like

There were a couple of posts arguing about what someone on another forum had stated. Forum rules ask members not to reference or import argument or discussion from other forums or to point members here to said discussion or arguments.

Ah, I didn’t know that this happened

I know. I had asked him about how to find that other guy and his paper on the other forum as well, and thought that this was what Richard was frowning upon. But I guess it was something different

2 Likes

Apologies all if I inadvertently broke the rules. It was unintentional.

The book I mentioned that people were asking about is an online book and is simply the most definitive and authoritative guide to record cleaning currently available. Search terms above

3 Likes
5 Likes

Would be interesting to have your opinion or impressions on that review guys. @Suedkiez , Gthack, badger1….
I couldn’t understand all because the guy is speaking fast for me, a french guy.
I understood that, for the reviewer, the HG lacks power, is not completely an ultrasonic.
The Degritter is clearly better, but it’s a bit normal, at 7 times more expensive.
But the HG is good for its price for him.
The caveats: lacking power and no security if the HG is turned on without water in the recipient.

1 Like

If this isn’t “truly ultrasonic”, then the non-vinyl ultrasonic cleaners that have been sold for decades aren’t either. It uses 35 kHz, what does he think that this is? But probably he is an audiophile and therefore thinks he can hear 35 kHz :wink: At 1:25 he goes on about the IEC terminating in the HG’s power supply, while with the Degritter it terminates in the machine. What, does he believe that the DG gets the full 220 Volts into its US emitters? Of course not, the Degritter simply has the power transformer inside and not as an extra box. I stopped watching there, sorry :smiley:

1 Like

It’s only 13 mn. Hope you will watch it later. He compares then both machines and put pictures from a microscope.

1 Like