HumminGuru & Degritter Ultrasonic RCMs

No problem. I take it you don’t want to buy a second hand AD unit now I have extolled it’s virtues do you​:rofl::rofl:

Just to clarify you can run 20-30 cycles in the degritter before you need to change the water.

1 Like

Yeah I got that :slight_smile: I clean maybe one record per month. It’s surely helpful if cleaning more

Yes. I often go 3-5 weeks without cleaning then clean in a batch, in those cases I start with fresh DiW. Enjoy.

Recently i observed that i spend more time cleaning my records than listening. I decided to stop that. I clean only 3 records per day, the ones I decided to listen to only.
As my apartment is not very big, I hear the HG hummin from the kitchen.
It’s not so silent.

3 Likes

Hi @Ryder35

I can well believe that the Degritter is better.
And honestly, I’d love one. It’s flawless, functional, efficient and looks the business. Style and substance together in one package - what’s not to love?

But it comes at a cost (which I’m not complaining about). You get what you pay for and in the context of my collection - 350 albums - I just don’t think it warrants the cost. I don’t intend to have walls and walls of records stored in my front room either so that won’t change.

I’m glad you are enjoying yours though.
:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

:grinning: I have today placed an order for a Degritter

3 Likes

Damn, I hope you like it otherwise I am going to feel bad😉

2 Likes

If it’s not good enough, you can then take the KLAUDIO . Only 4,7 k.

1 Like

It’s got something of a life-support-machine-for-vinyl look about it. A bit hospital equipment looking. Still, if it gets the job done .
Bringing vinyl back to life.

1 Like

I’d suggest that if the water is at 40c and you place a room temp (20c) lump of vinyl in into it, the vinyl won’t get anywhere close to 37c anytime soon?

1 Like

Ultrasonic agitation will dump a lot of energy in the water and cause both to heat up quickly. There is a risk of warping records sitting in water at 35c+. Hence Degritter cut the ultrasonic at 32c and wait for it to cool so this never happens. This can easily happen after 2-3 heavy or even medium cycles. My room temperature has frequently been 25c+ this summer.

1 Like

All I could find it’s that’s the most expensive ultrasonic machine. But have no idea of its real performance.
The Degritter looks better for sure.

1 Like

I watched some other reviews on the Humminguru on YouTube. All of them pointed that a surfacant is very useful to better clean the lps. Some use the Photo foil, other the Art du son fluid. I still didn’t received the Degritter fluid.
Then 1 reviewer said that it’s not recommended to clean more than 5 records successively. ( By HG guys themselves).
The surfactant is also necessary to dry completely the lp. For now most of my lps are not totally dry. I have to let them dry near an open window.
The reviews pointed the same, but with the surfacant the problem is solved.

3 Likes

Had no problem drying any records in the last 2 months with my HG. Only needed the 5 min dry too.

1 Like

Do you use a surfacant ?

Yes. Dishwasher rince aid, but only one drop.

2 Likes

A large part depends on the weather I suppose. I use the surfactant for the initial cycle but then do a rinse cycle with just the distilled water. When I got the HG in winter, a few drops typically remained after 5 minutes drying, so I usually did 10. Now in the current heat, 5 minutes is nearly always enough, but we had dry heat. I’m sure if the air is very humid it could take 10 even if it’s hot

1 Like

For now I use distilled water with few cl of isopropyl. I make one 5 minutes cleaning then switch on automatic 10 mn. I usually have some water drops on the lp.
I will try to dry more to see if it helps.

1 Like

I owned both KLAudio and Degritter - the KLAudio is solid-built but does not come close to the Degritter in terms of design (US frequency backed by actual studies and research), implementation (e.g. removable and cleanable water tank, filter, software upgradeability), and impact on sound.

I found the KLAudio resulted in a bit of roll-off of high-frequency content and loss of dynamics. The Degritter has non of the negative side-effects and results in much quieter and dynamic records. This is running both machines side-side on new LPs and used records with cross comparisons.

I still own the Degritter today with the KLAudio long gone. Service is also much better at Degritter, from email and question responses, shipping, trouble shooting, and replacement service and parts.

4 Likes